DS bits
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: DS bits

Default DS bits

Question: are indicator and wiper units the same layout for RHD and LHD?
    I found some lhd ones to replace mine, as they are very ratty and the plastic has perished rather badly,
    Logic ( mine!?) would suggest they are actually put together opposite.

Advertisement

steven

What is a "unit"?
    Assuming you mean switch, they are different LHD to RHD, if the vehicle is a BVM ( manual transmission).
    A DS can be either BVH or BVM. If you mean D Special, then equipped with a manual transmission.
    They are indeed completely opposite.

Yes I am talking switch unit Richo, thankyou for confiming my suspicions, will live ratty as such
    cheers!

More DS bits, I am wondering if late (74) model DSpecials had the foam luggage compartment boot lid seals (Porte de coffre AR: Caoutchouc (encadrement) or was it just rubber strips?

They catch water as we all know, toying with getting a plastic boot also.

Had an idea the foam only came with DS'sssss
    DS bits-pict_1798.jpg

My 75 DSpecial had the foam

I have a boot off another vehicle, foam seal, by that stage Specials were morphed with D specs so as you say foam would be the norm I guess, don't like what it does to bootlids though!

Sadly, the sponges were fitted to all DS and D Special.

Don't buy the repro one, they're rubbish. Darrin Brownhill of Citroen Classics offered that advice.

Ah good advice any clues to an/ the alternative? : )

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Ah good advice any clues to an/ the alternative? : )
    Steve,
    Have a look at Michaelr's restoration thread, he has used a 'generic boot seal' with a high profile soft rubber pinch weld.
    This does require a modification to the boot surround, welding in a lip to accept the pinch weld. Michael reports a good seal now to the boot lid, and has eliminated the possibility of water being held in the rust prone area of the boot lid.

I'm going against the above advice (Richo, Darrin Brownhill and Michael), I have a new replacement seal that I will fit to my car, I suspect there may be differing qualities of reproduction rubbers and am satisfied the one I have is of a far superior quality to the original sponge type seal originally fitted (which incidentally lasted 25 years on my car before breaking down). The outer membrane is much thicker than the original and as long as it is not compromised I can't see why or how it can hold water.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

You beat me to it GB. I do believe it is a good solution. Frankly I don't understand why Citroen did not do it in the first place. I do recognise though that it destroys originality.

It actually takes very little modification to fix the "pinchweld type seal" since there is already a suitable upstandaround most of the boot surround. The area above the bumper bar is already suitable as are the two side parts. Under the rear window will need bending to a more upright position. Welding is required to produce rounded connections between the straight parts and to fill in the resultant corners. Fitting and adjusting is much easier with the back seat removed so you can look at the gaps from inside the boot.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

UFO

I fitted a repro one to mine, and the initial fitment was rubbish as the professional glue provided did not last. After a couple of months I removed the boot lid as the seal had removed itself from the lid. After cleaning as much of the old glue off as I could, 30 minutes or so of Sikaflex application and I had the seal stuck back on - working on the loungeroom floor of course! I taped it down for the night then next day refitted the bootlid. It has stayed in place and as far as I can tell no water or dust has entered the boot yet.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger

Ignoring dogged originality, conversion to a pinchweld seal is really the most sensible way forward if the car is in bits. You could easily pinch a seal from the hatch on something recently deceased e.g. Xantia, Xsara, C5 ... The original seal is just a latex coated lump of foam, so it's no surprise it would take on water and speed up the rusting process. If you are changing the boot seal to a pinchweld, it would also be a simple matter to do the same to those silly rubbers down the gutters under the rear guards.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Ignoring dogged originality, conversion to a pinchweld seal is really the most sensible way forward if the car is in bits. You could easily pinch a seal from the hatch on something recently deceased e.g. Xantia, Xsara, C5 ... The original seal is just a latex coated lump of foam, so it's no surprise it would take on water and speed up the rusting process. If you are changing the boot seal to a pinchweld, it would also be a simple matter to do the same to those silly rubbers down the gutters under the rear guards.
    Ignoring dogged originality, appropriate turn of phrase...

The original seal was a latex covered lump of foam, a sponge. Once the outer broke down it provided the perfect environment to promote rust.

When I bought my replacement I was warned to beware of cheaper copies available at the time (these may be what Darrin has warned against?)

I was informed this seal no longer uses open cell but a closed cell foam therefore no longer behaves as a sponge 'if' the outer is broken. As previously mentioned the outer skin is much tougher than the original. In that respect not 100% true to original but a practical alternative that does preserve an original look without modification.

I see both options as being viable, it is probably more important to maintain a vigilant rust preventative regime on both the the boot lid and boot surround, moisture trapped under the pinchweld seal option can be quietly destroying the boot opening. The lock seal and drain on the boot lid often being neglected and both potential sources of water entering and then sitting in the boot lid lip.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

UFO

Here's a pic of the seal I bought from Herman Jansen in Holland. It's a fairly heavy piece for a lump of foam.

ufo rs 50 by UFO1966, on Flickr

And later during being fitted for the first time

More boot by UFO1966, on Flickr
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I reckon I'll go the sponge number original style as I want to keep it looking like original, the solution you have done Micheal is certainly a contender but I am fixed, the plastic bootlid has merit though! How many people are driving around in D's with plastic panels all over them... go a bit faster eh? Rust in other places...
    Denton out at European Auto was painting sikaflex onto the old seals to toughen them up I think, sure I painted some on and let it sit for days with boot open to cure.

I think it was Genesis P Orridge who recorded "In God we trust, in cars we rust".

Have a good day tomorrow folks, and onwards : )

UFO

Here's some plastic parts they prepared earlier

ICCCR 2012 Day 3 by UFO1966, on Flickr

ICCCR 2012 Day 1 by UFO1966, on Flickr
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information