Busted suspension pump replaced, but still doesn't work ?
  • Register
  • Help

Icon8 Busted suspension pump replaced, but still doesn't work ?

Hi!

My suspension pump was faulty (kept blowing the 40A maxi fuse) and today I got a replacement pump (also used) fitted. The pump know whirs as it used to, but the car doesn't go up or down (it's at lower than the lowest setting, because I couldn't depressurize the system prior to removing the old pump).

Advertisement

I've tried citraerobics (up/down button, turn steering end-to-end) for about 20 mins but no avail.

Is there anything particular I can try to get things moving again (other than leaving it overnight and hoping it fixes itself?)?

As far as I could notice, everything was connected back fine (used new worm drive clips instead of the original hose clips - I had read that those can't be reused and mechanic also said the same). Except - there's 3 wires coming to the pump: 1 single yellow wire on a double connector (1 unused), and below that 2 wires in a ovalish connector with a red clip lock. The red lock (even with the headlamp removed) couldn't be pushed back in all the way but the plug seems secure.

Many thanks in advance!

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Have you tried priming the pump? It sounds like the pump needs something to pull against and draw hydraulic fluid from the reservoir.

You can't go any lower than the lowest setting- by that point you're on the bump stops.

Don't run that pump dry for long periods of time. You're running a very real risk of seizing it.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger

You could try swapping the ECU from your old pump to the is one. It lifts off the top and controls the valves inside the pump.

Fellow Frogger!

I am with Bill (Hotrodelectric) on this one. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that the electric pumps in the later cars may be gear pumps as opposed to either the 7 or 5 piston pumps used on the DS/CX and other models. If so it is going to need priming. Even some of the piston pumps would not self prime.

Steve

Fellow Frogger

It doesn't have to suck the fluid from the reservoir like DS/CX as the reservoir is directly above the pump. It should prime itself. The reservoir is, however, designed to be under slight pressure under normal conditions, so if you think there is a priming problem, try removing the cap initially. The system would have to have been completely depressurised to remove the pump as the valves controlling the suspension are in the pump block.

Later cars used a different ECU, so depending on what the donor was, that could be a problem. There was also a change to the return and early pumps have a separate return port at the pump, while later units don't. Try to establish whether there if fluid returning to the reservoir. Does the car think it's meant to be in the low position or something above that? What does the display show?

Default Re: Busted suspension pump replaced, but still doesn't work ?

I had to prime the pump in mine to get it going after the pump change. I built a simple priming tool: a cap fitting to the reservoir fitted with a valve from a bicycle tyre. This allows introducing little bit of pressure with a compressor (careful not to split the reservoir) in the reservoir, enough to get the pump going.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

priming the pump did the trick. I had a battery powered tyre compressor, put the line in the neck, stuffed some rags in the gaps and held it tight. took a few attempts to get it going (either I wasn't getting a good enough seal, or the pump took a few tries to get going) and now the car is going up and down as expected.
    well, it seems to be going up a bit slower than I remember - which is either a defective memory or maybe the system still needs to bleed itself (did quite a bit of citraerobics already). Of course the LDS level at low is not at the bottom of the bucket (now that the pump pulled the LDS) so maybe another can of LDS will do the trick.

Yet to go on a test drive to see how she handles...

Thread Information