2007 c5 hdi
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 2007 c5 hdi

Default 2007 c5 hdi

Hi Guys,

Been a while since I've posted on here. I've been pretty much a Pug addict most of my life but I've dabbled with Renaults and now I'm contemplating joining the Citroen family too.

We've been looking at a 2nd hand 2007 C5 HDI wagon. Its in very good condition and has done just under 70K.

I'm just interested in what I should look out for in regards to main areas of wear and tear/problem areas etc. Also the owner is asking $18000 neg. According to Redbook, this seems slightly pricey. Any suggestions on what would be a suitable price?

Many thanks in advance,

Advertisement

Dave.
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

All C5s I scan seem to come with a free radio fault. Still works; seems there is just a slight loss of incoming signal quality that's sensed by the head unit.

Many also have a permanent or regularly happening intermittent fault on the steering angle sensor's ability to talk with the Hydractive suspension. Result of this, is suspension not being soft as it can be, at lower speeds.

The asking price does seem high, but "no harm in asking"...

Any service agent you choose - should you buy this - ought to have Diagbox or Lexia in the workshop. For the niggles that may arise with fault messages displaed on the multifunction screen, generic scan tools just don't cut the mustard.

Fellow Frogger

Is it a 2.0 or 2.2 HDi? The 2.2 is not expecially common, but probably still worth a little more than the 2.0.

Values? Is it well optioned with navigation, towbar (with the wiring??) sunroof etc.? It may be better maintained than the average 5/6 year old C5. Or not. Flat spheres, creaking rear arms, busted Comm unit, worn out front arm bushes, whining turbo, slipping gearbox, dodgy tyre sensors, a tailgate and/or glass that falls down or doesn't open, Eolys additive refill due, timing belt overdue etc. ... may erode the savings on a cheaper car. Sometimes, it's worth paying more, but only if you get more and avoid problems that might exist in a cheaper example with more kms aand a patchy service history.

Thanks for the replies. Its a 2L, no sun roof, tow bar or navigation. Turbo seemed to sound fine when driving but gearbox not wonderful at low speeds and revs. No obvious other faults that came up but its always a risk with buying a car full of potential electrical quandaries.
    To me, the car is probably worth around 13-14K so I'll ask the question and see what happens. Cheers, Dave

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Check to see if it has the AL4 gearbox if it has stay away
    My C5 went back under warranty for the gearbox constantly that why I sold it didn't want to be stuck when it failed again total cost for gearbox and related repairs over the 3 years of ownership was close to 10 grand
    I am looking at the latest shape C5,s as I miss my Citroen but dont miss the contant problems

Is that the red one in Highton? 6 speeed auto? I'd been going to take a look at that one myself, before deciding on the 407 SV. Looks like a nice car, I reckon.
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Fellow Frogger

Not mine, but I'd be tempted by this as a comparison point at least:
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/blue-...-km/1010100318#
    Yes, more km's, wrong state being in NSW, but it seems to have sufficiently good fundamentals to warrant looking further. To me it seems a basically honestly presented car and has apparently been well cared for.

Yes, good value in that NSW one , but one heck of a lot more K's on the clock. Looks like the front tow point cover has been prised out recently, too. (Edit: Whoops! No. Those aren't the tow point covers. Still a lot of K's, though)
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Fellow Frogger

The km's are sometimes not a good indicator. I've had a few high mile cars (say 300K) that spent most of the time on highways and they have often been better cars to own than low km car from the city. I've driven a few real dogs from within Sydney with well under 100K. Canberra cars are often a fair bet as the roads are good and higher km's tend to devalue the car more than is probably fair. Hartley Vale is basically rural and well outside of the Sydney metro area, so it would have done a fair amount of easy driving if it's always been out there.

If you are not set on a diesel wagon, the later V6 petrol hatch/sedans are under-rated. This one is near Wollongong with only 41K recorded.
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wollo...ack/1009329195
    It has the 6 speed gearbox, turning Xenon lamps, sunroof etc. and they are pleasant to drive. They do come up for less, but usually with a lot more kms. Anyway, worthy as a point of comparison, if nothing else.
    Last edited by David S; 14th December 2012 at 07:37 PM.

Yes, me too, Dave S., especially in earlier days, and with vehicles less filled with electronic gadgets & creature comforts. But these days mileage often seems to take a toll on quite expensive bits and pieces (frippery perhaps), even if it doesn't affect the underlying integrity of engines/ transmissions as much as the quality of care / country/city nature of miles done, etc.
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Yes the gumtree car (which looks good and genuine, altho admittedly a lot more k's) gives you an idea of trade price. He is desperately trying to make a thousand or two (or even less) rather than trade in for probably $8500 or $9000 . The lower k car which is the same year, might be worth a few thousand more as a trade in despite what drive / redbook say. Realistic private sale (not asking price) around 13K? Its 6 years old soon.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Fellow Frogger

That 'Gumtree wagon' had a further price drop, appearing on Carsales for $9,500 and now showing as sold. It seems the alternative was to trade it in per the revised advert, so Trading Estate read it correctly. I suspect someone might have bought fairly well there, but they could be up for an Eolys refill surprise next year sometime after 160K. At least it's got a refillable rigid tank and not the expensive bladder used in the C4 and Picasso.

Yeah the Gumtree C5 seemed a better buy, especially for that price. I've ended up purchasing a 407 Sv wagon late model with under 100K on the clock and a great service history for 17K on the road. Very happy, looking fwd to picking it up.

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

These 407 SVs seem to be "catching" at present! I guess it means their price has fallen enough for the likes of you and I to consider (or maybe its just the 406's have worn out!)

Certainly got a heck of a lot more grunt than my old 406 ST. More economical too, when one is circumspect about applying that grunt! Averaging about 8.3 l/100k in mine after three tankfulls. Used to get around 10 in the 406 D8 petrol. The driving balance isn't quite a refined as the 406, but gee the seats are comfy & I'm not sure I've ever been in a vehicle which contains a greater variety of music playing options!

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Before you buy a 407 .... try one on a "normal" ..... ie: rough as buggery country road. You'll think they forgot to put suspension under it.......... If you try the 307 before it, it'll still feel like a limousine... I really did think the 307's were bloody terrible, even worse than the C4.

Just don't drive your 'D' or 'CX' if your going to test drive 407's. You'll think the suspensions crap, the brakes stupidly over assisted, clutch to heavy, clutch throw too long ... On the positive side, the gearbox will feel nifty to use and I don't mind the feel of the electric power steering, especially after the crappy poogoe low pressure steering rack ftted to the XM/Xantia/BX.

seeya,
    Shane L.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Hagen View Post
    These 407 SVs seem to be "catching" at present! I guess it means their price has fallen enough for the likes of you and I to consider (or maybe its just the 406's have worn out!)

Certainly got a heck of a lot more grunt than my old 406 ST. More economical too, when one is circumspect about applying that grunt! Averaging about 8.3 l/100k in mine after three tankfulls. Used to get around 10 in the 406 D8 petrol. The driving balance isn't quite a refined as the 406, but gee the seats are comfy & I'm not sure I've ever been in a vehicle which contains a greater variety of music playing options!

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine!

Cheers

Rod
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information