2cv won't start
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 2cv won't start

Fellow Frogger!

Default 2cv won't start

Haven't used car for a couple of weeks.Now it won't start.Plenty of fuel good spark.When I take hose off from fuel pump (std mechanical type) to carburetor there is no fuel coming out.Any advice re safest way to get car started ? Squirt some fuel directly into carb and reconnect hose and try again ? any offers ?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger! Inspector Clouseau's Avatar

The heat appears to put 2CV fuel pumps to the test. Mine failed the other day in the heat in Brisbane and I needed a tow - oh, the indignity for the poor thing. Fortunately DS Motors had a new one on hand which got it going nicely again - thanks John. I've only ever been let down once before by the car; if you count inadvertantly nudging loose an ignition switch wire. It looked like the original 1978 pump so fair excuse.

Pull the rubber bellows off the carb intake.
    Fully choke the carb by holding your hand down on the throat and crank the engine.
    Engine vacuum will pull fuel back into the system.
    When it coughs, move your thumb a little to let in some air.
    After it runs, put the bellows back on.

My experience with these little buggers has been a weak fuel pump.

Failing my method as described above, the only other thing could be a perished rubber fuel line either above the tank, or between the frame and fuel pump letting air in, causing no vacuum.

Go try step one. If that works, change the fuel pump and your problem will be solved.

Changing the rubber lines periodically is a good idea too. I hate it when A series cars catch fire.

Also, check the connections on the coil!

Fellow Frogger!

I had the same problem. Apparently after a few days of non use the fuel ran back to the pump, so I had to pour a little in the fuel
    hose and then it would start. I now start the car every day until I have the time to check or replace the fuel punp.
    Winkbul

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Clouseau View Post
    The heat appears to put 2CV fuel pumps to the test. Mine failed the other day in the heat in Brisbane and I needed a tow - oh, the indignity for the poor thing. Fortunately DS Motors had a new one on hand which got it going nicely again - thanks John. I've only ever been let down once before by the car; if you count inadvertantly nudging loose an ignition switch wire. It looked like the original 1978 pump so fair excuse.
    On very hot days, or stuck in traffic on a hot day, the standard coil can overheat causing the engine to stall with no hope of getting it started until the coil cools down. I used to carry a couple of spare coils until I replace the coil with a Harley type.

I am slowly building up a stock of spare parts with the AUD so high against the Pound and Euro. Looks like a new fuel pump should be added to the next order.

John

Fellow Frogger!

be quick before the govt starts taxing internet purchases....which is unfortunately now on the cards in response to Harvey Normans whinging...and the belief within govt circles that no transaction shoud be without a govt impost...morons

JBN

That was another part of the equation. This year I have bought 4 new Muchelin tyres for the Charleston (Daffy Duck uses Nankangs by choice, better for the bush). I have bought a complete upholstery set, discs and pads, oil filters, engine mounts, 4 tie-rod end eyelets (which I intend to drill/tap/insert grease nipples to better crease the knife edges). Once that is done for Daffy Duck, I will do the same to Daffy Ducks tie-rod ends and then use them on the Charleston, replacing the original ones. Next think will be a new clutch kit plus cable and new steering arm ends (those that go from a round ball to an oval ball over time). And a new set of shockers for the Charleston (or Daffy Duck, which ever needs them first).

That covers most of the foreseeable maintenance issues. I guess a Perfect Circle cylinder/pistons/rings might be advisable given the abuse the engines suffer with my lead foot.

John

Thread Information