Hey everyone!

Just bought my first Citroen. its a 2004 Pluriel

Advertisement

Anyone have any tips or tricks?

thanks team

Cheers,
    Lewis

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Seeing as I'm in the US, I can't help with tips or tricks (we never got the Pluriel), but, welcome to the dark side!
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Welcome to the love / hate relationship. French with tears. A malignant infection, incurable !

Have fun.

Hi Lewis
    I bought a Pluriel for my partner and she (& I) love it..
    Big Thanks to David S on this forum who gave me invaluable advice...Advice as follows

The main issues to worry about with a Pluriel are:
    * Roof - does it work? Does it leak? Early cars had a lot of trouble with leaks, but this should have been well and truly dealt with by now. The roof should work, but if it doesn't, you can buy almost every part required to fix it - at a price. You should never need to have to buy a complete roof assembly.
    * Window regulators - they have a habit of failing like pretty much everything else made by PSA supplier Arvin Meritor (S1 C5 door locks, old C3 sunroof - there's a pattern!) You can now buy window reg parts from the Turks via eBay, which is a potentially huge saving. The rear quarter regs can cost over $2K per side, depending on who quotes the repair! It also needs to be aligned correctly of it will leak.
    * Sensodrive - It's an acquired taste, but is basically a Berlingo gearbox with an electro-mechanical changer added. Like the Berlingo gearbox, it can suffer from failed input shaft bearings (cage collapses), selector lever rivet can come loose and pinion bearing failure, which usually destroys the C&P and breaks the case. So, beware noises. The clutch actuators creak as they age. They will still work like this, but it's telling you it will need lubrication. In some cases, the motor pinion has snapped off, but I've never seen that in an earlier car. The gear selection actuator is also an electro-mechanical device and they cost thousands. It's often possible to clean the carbon from the motors' brushes and repair it that way, but only if you know how = dealer with the right attitude. Most would just make you buy nea actuators for $$$$.
    * Water pump - the bearing fails and then the impeller falls apart, but you'll hear it well before that. It's driven by the timing belt and your target car would never have had one done unless the water pump failed.
    * A/C flap motor/regulator - You may hear a clocking noise behind the dash. If you do, it's most likely a stripped gear inside the flap motor. They are something stupid like $500+ just for the part! Not a cheap job for what it is.
    * Brake switches - these are suspect items on all recent PSA models. In the Sensodrive cars, you must out your foot on the brake to start it. Sometimes, you can't start it easily if the brake switch is bad.
    * Plip - If it has the folding rectangular plip (I forget) the key foldout is weak. Basically, the cases are rubbish and they cost the best part of $400 new and aftermarket parts (eBay) are not quite right.

The rest is pretty simple although make sure the CD player operates and ejects properly. The engines are robust and the suspension and drivetrain gives little drama.
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Thanks for the help guys!

I seem to have had an oversight.... there is no boot cover in my Pluriel.
    I have emailed the previous owner to see if it is in their garage, in the event it isn't are there any wreckers or places that I could pick one up from around Perth?

That's not going to be cheap. Don't be afraid to look overseas if the local prices seem terrifying.

Have driven a Pluriel myself and to be pefectly honest, couldn't wait to get out. Glad you - as a new owner - don't feel similarly. That's what is so good about this forum, diversity!

Thread Information