15-6 brake parts availability?
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    1000+ Posts daffyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Posts
    1,955

    Default 15-6 brake parts availability?

    I have been charged with turning that HY from Area 52 into a driver.
    I have been told that the brake parts largely cross over to the 15-6.
    My questions are: Are there a lot of 15-6 in Australia?
    Was the 15-6 sold there?
    Am I correct thinking that wheel cylinders will probably come from France? Or is it possible that somebody down under has a good stock of brake parts?

    Something tells me I am going to need 6 wheel cylinders and some new hoses at least.

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    VIP Sponsor richo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hobart, the other planet
    Posts
    1,445

    Default

    Give this link a whirl Wally.

    http://www.ctaservice.nl/c-1321-15cv...peFilterID=115

    There's not many of the 15/6 in Oz, a rarity.

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,670

    Default

    Isn't there also the difference of the fluids used? I know Tractions used brake fluid, but I thought the HY used LHM.
    Try this: http://www.citroworld.com/tableaux/i...=33&itemId=258

  4. #4
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Isn't there also the difference of the fluids used? I know Tractions used brake fluid, but I thought the HY used LHM.
    Try this: http://www.citroworld.com/tableaux/i...=33&itemId=258
    Thanks for the heads up David, but the H in question is a '53.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,021
    Cheers Gerry

  6. #6
    VIP Sponsor richo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hobart, the other planet
    Posts
    1,445

    Default

    Wally, Citroworld in the Netherlands will also have HY brake parts.
    I misread the initial post, looking at 15-6 rather than HY.

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! tractionfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    280

    Default

    The front brakes on a 6 cylinder are double leading so if it's the same there should be 2 brake cylinder each side on the front. Can't you send them to a brake specialist and get them machined and have stainless sleeves put in them. that's what i did with mine also if the shoes are in reasonable order you should be able to get them reshod.

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tractionfan View Post
    The front brakes on a 6 cylinder are double leading so if it's the same there should be 2 brake cylinder each side on the front. Can't you send them to a brake specialist and get them machined and have stainless sleeves put in them. that's what i did with mine also if the shoes are in reasonable order you should be able to get them reshod.
    I went this route with my 6H and had problems with leaking cylinders. The seal between the sleeve and the original casting has to be perfectly machined and then must be pressed in with a sealing compound that will set and form an impervious barrier to the hydraulic fluid. The fellow doing mine got it right after the third attempt. Each time up to the third attempt, a set of bonded linings was ruined by fluid saturation. and had to be replaced.
    You stand warned!!!!!!!!!
    By the way HY drums and shoes are wider and so is the wheel bearing.
    Cheers Gerry

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! tractionfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    280

    Default

    H
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    I went this route with my 6H and had problems with leaking cylinders. The seal between the sleeve and the original casting has to be perfectly machined and then must be pressed in with a sealing compound that will set and form an impervious barrier to the hydraulic fluid. The fellow doing mine got it right after the third attempt. Each time up to the third attempt, a set of bonded linings was ruined by fluid saturation. and had to be replaced.
    You stand warned!!!!!!!!!
    By the way HY drums and shoes are wider and so is the wheel bearing.
    You've had some bad luck Gerry. I've done this with both my 6 and my Normale. I haven't had trouble with either.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •