Wheel rotation with pressure sensors
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Wheel rotation with pressure sensors

Hi all, the c5 is up to 7000km. Thinking of getting a wheel rotation done now (service due at 15000 so don't want to wait that long) Just wondering with the pressure sensors on the wheels, is there a special procedure to re sync the monitors to the on board computer after a rotation? Cheers

Advertisement

UFO

Leave the tyres where they are. Then replace a pair only at a time. I've just put a new pair of Bridgestone Potenzas on the front of the C5 with the previous fronts having done just on 40k km. The rear pair have probably got another 20k km in them.

(oh no, I just participated in a tyre conversation....)
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Rotating wheels has no impact on wheel position. Each sender has an individual identifier so the under inflation ECU knows where all 4 tyres are on the car at anytime. When they are "forced" to show their position each wheel is logged in its original position and after subsequent rotations/flat tyres the ECU will show you were each wheels original position was and where it is now.

However (there is always a however...) the spare tyre does NOT have a sensor. The ECU can memorise 2 sets of tyres (designed for climates where winter/snow tyres are used for the winter months and another set for the warmer months) in its memory BUT not a spare (apparently 5 tyres is to complicated). So if a spare tyre is fitted then the ECU goes a little ballistic and shows a translated version of "where the hell is my fourth wheel??" in pictorial form in instrument cluster. The wheels with tyre pressure sensors have a solid valve stem where as the spare is a bendy rubber/plastic one
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

UFO

Recent experiences in the UK have shown that fitting fancy aftermarket metal caps to the valve stems of sensor equipped wheels leads to dis-similar metal corrosion. Leave the stems fitted with their plastic caps. At 110 km/h no one can see or care if you have a cute little valve cap on.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

You need to rotate front wheel drive tyres at 7 - 8000K, rear wheel drive vehicles 10K. This will improve your kilometers up to 30% as long as you maintain constant pressures at 36 - 38 PSI all round. Remember to check pressure when they are cold, after two hrs constant running at ambient temperature of 25C the pressures will build up another 10 -12%, this will vary on the profile of the tyre.

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

The reason that rotating tyres on 407/C5 is due to the tyre pressures. With the fronts turning they tend to wear quicker on the outer tread. The rears on the other hand since they run such a high pressure tend to wear out the CENTER of the tyres. So yes, rotating tyres on a 407 usually every service (10'000km) is a really really good idea.
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks all for the feedback. I do prefer to rotate at every 7000km or so. I did this with my previous Maxima. Got 50000km out of the tyres.

I would second UFO. Don't bother to rotate the tyres. The fronts have to deal with drive forces and braking forces, the rear braking forces only. This tends to wear the tread blocks in slightly different ways on both sets so when they are rotated, they have to be reworn to that shape if they end up on the other axle. If you do the other form of rotating some may end up turning the other way - scare bleu!.

Look after your cash flow and replace the fronts when they need it, you should get two fronts out of a set of rears, on a CX maybe 3.

Without meaning to sound like a hypocrite I have just rotated the tyres on the CX to wear them all out so I can have 4 of the same tyres (Michelin do not make the XM1 anymore) and the ones that are on the front are not happy, squealing more than they should. If I had followed the advice I am giving, I would have replaced the two front tyres at 48,000km, again at 96k and probably all 4 at 144k. At present all tyres are getting to the replacement stage after 74,270km, probably have to do it before 80k comes up. It is cheaper the way I am suggesting, and at least on a CX the car would be happier
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thread Information