Checking Cooland 2006 C5
  • Register
  • Help

Default Checking Cooland 2006 C5

I have a recently acquired C5 2.2 HDI and no owners handbook.
    I cant find where to check and top up the coolant. Could someone direct me how to do it until I can get an owners manual? At least I found the dipstick!

Advertisement

Thanks
    Justin

Does this help?

There should be a Min and Max mark on the tank.

Checking Cooland 2006 C5-2.2hdi.jpg
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

I believe the makers say the coolant system is set for life. If however it leaks, there are particular fluids that must be used. Search the net for your information. I did and found plenty.
    Allan

UFO

Are you sure the handbook is not in a tray under the passenger seat?

Coolant for life? Sounds like the "sealed for life" AL4 gearboxes. No one bothered to define "life".

Would you trust the same coolant for a long time in the engine in the environs of Qld?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thanks for that Simon but mine doesnt seem to have any obvious filler tank like that photo.
    Craig, I bought the car from a dealer in Brisbane and it had the wallet with service book for the wrong car and manual for the pre- facelift model. I sent it back and he was supposed to send it to me but after multiple phone calls and lies we never got it. I suspect it was never a one owner car as advertised and he didnt want to give proof.
    We've basically given up.
    I've already sourced LDS and Total Ineo ECS oil so I'll research the cooland if it is supposed to be for life. I'll order a handbook from the UK if I cant get one here.

Fellow Frogger

The coolant reservoir should be where the book page shows it to be, behind the tank for LDS. It most likely has a cover with a hole so the cap can poke through. You have to remove the cover to get at the coolant and LDS reservoirs, but topping up the coolant can be done without removing it. If you need to remove the cover, the clips are removed by pulling the centre wight up before lifting out the clip. If you try to prise them out without lifting the centre, you will cause damage. Sometimes, another type of clip is present and it has a small cross in the middle. You will find at least one of them on the front guard liner too and you carefully push the centre in to release it without damage.

The coolant won't last forever and strictly, a pH check every so often is a good idea as it tells you how the coolant is doing and whether the inhibitor chemicals have broken down. That's why most manufacturers specify a product life. The Citroen product the car was supplied with is blue and premixed to the correct strength. A 5 litre container is part 997971 via Citroen dealer and is not unreasonably priced. You can decant a few litres to a top up bottle or buy the 2 liter package instead. Don't mix coolants and do a complete flush if you are going to change to a locally available coolant. If the car is using coolant, then it's very important that you check the heat exchanger in front of the engine for leakage internally and consider bypassing it with a length of heater hose. If it's leaking and you pressure test the system, you can inadvertently force coolant into the exchanger and kill the engine next startup when it ingests it. A potential trap.

You may be able to download the handbook page by page from the service.citroen website (Edit: No. 2007 on only apparently.), but it's easier to get one from a dealer or a wrecker from a local car. Ask forum sponsor French Connection if they have wrecked a 2.2 4 speed C5. Failing that try the wreckers like BM Spares, ASV, Riverside Spares in Sydney etc..
    Last edited by David S; 22nd November 2012 at 12:06 AM.

Thread Information