• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By George 1/8th

Thread: Citroen C5 window problem

Tadpole

Default Citroen C5 window problem

Hi all,
    I just found this forum yesterday and thought it looked very helpful.
    I bought at the start of the year as my first car a 2005 Citroen C5 HDi (MK1 with 57000km on the clock.
    While I love the car as I have always admired Citroens, it does have a recurring issue with the driver side window
    where it does go down automatically fine however when automatically returning up, it gets stuck near the top and drops back down unless you nudge it up. I know this would be to do with the antipinch but I have no idea as to what to do about it. In Tasmania, there are no Citroen dealers within 2 hours and they are ridiculously expensive. Any Tasmanian's know decent service places in the North/North west?
    Thanks
    Callum

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by C5TAS1994 View Post
    Hi all,
    I bought at the start of the year as my first car a 2005 Citroen C5 HDi (MK1 with 57000km on the clock.
    While I love the car as I have always admired Citroens, it does have a recurring issue with the driver side window
    where it does go down automatically fine however when automatically returning up, it gets stuck near the top and drops back down unless you nudge it up. I know this would be to do with the antipinch but I have no idea as to what to do about it. In Tasmania, there are no Citroen dealers within 2 hours and they are ridiculously expensive. Any Tasmanian's know decent service places in the North/North west?
    Thanks
    Callum
    You should be able to re-set the anti-pinch yourself, I've had to do in the past and don't totally recollect the procedure others will set me straight I'm sure.

As I remember, window up ignition off/ disconnect battery/ reconnect after about 5 minutes/ back in car (ignition on) inch window fully down - then inch window fully up. That's it, the computer should have re-learned the window travel and operate correctly.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    You should be able to re-set the anti-pinch yourself, I've had to do in the past and don't totally recollect the procedure others will set me straight I'm sure.

As I remember, window up ignition off/ disconnect battery/ reconnect after about 5 minutes/ back in car (ignition on) inch window fully down - then inch window fully up. That's it, the computer should have re-learned the window travel and operate correctly.

Cheers
    Chris
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try when I get home
    Regards
    Callum

Icon12

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try when I get home
    Regards
    Callum
    Just a little disclaimer

Disconnecting the battery will cause you to lose your radio presets/ and date/ time etc.

Perhaps try holding the button in the up position for 10 seconds after it reaches fully closed, then in the fully down position after it has fully opened the up again and hold a further 10 seconds. Members on UK forums have had success without disconnecting the battery, those where this didn't work had success after a battery disconnection.

As you were

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Tadpole

Just a little disclaimer

Disconnecting the battery will cause you to lose your radio presets/ and date/ time etc.

Perhaps try holding the button in the up position for 10 seconds after it reaches fully closed, then in the fully down position after it has fully opened the up again and hold a further 10 seconds. Members on UK forums have had success without disconnecting the battery, those where this didn't work had success after a battery disconnection.

As you were

Cheers
    Chris
    Thanks for that,
    I do have one query as to resetting it. When it is on the automatic fully open setting, if you release the button and press it again, it goes down slightly further. Does it matter which level it is at??
    Regards Callum

Thanks for that,
    I do have one query as to resetting it. When it is on the automatic fully open setting, if you release the button and press it again, it goes down slightly further. Does it matter which level it is at??
    Regards Callum
    Callum,
    Once you have the battery re-connected you'll put the window through full down/ up cycles, hold the switch for 10 seconds in each position.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Tadpole

Callum,
    Once you have the battery re-connected you'll put the window through full down/ up cycles, hold the switch for 10 seconds in each position.

Cheers
    Chris
    Ok thanks Chris,
    I understand now,
    I'll give it a try tomorrow
    Regards
    Callum

Tadpole

Gave it a go this morning and unfortunately no success. I had a close listen after and it seems the window is under load when it goes down so I lubricated the window edges which again unfortunately didn't work. I think I will have to take the door panel off to look inside. Any other idea's??

Regards Callum

Fellow Frogger!

Gave it a go this morning and unfortunately no success. I had a close listen after and it seems the window is under load when it goes down so I lubricated the window edges which again unfortunately didn't work. I think I will have to take the door panel off to look inside. Any other idea's??

Regards Callum
    Hi Callum
    You'll probably find the inner silencing pad has come adrift off the door skin and is jamming the window. I've had the same problem. Take care with the trim its in 2 pieces and very poorly hot welded together.

Tadpole

ah ok, That may be it. I guess I will find out when I investigate it further or give up and finally take it to the dealer (a.k.a rip off merchant)
    Regards
    Callum

Hello Callum, I'm in the tropical NE of Tas, welcome to the forum.
    I assume that it stops at the same spot each time. This must indicate a resistance at this point. I would not recommend "fiddling" with anything that you are not sure of. A repairer panel beater must have vast knowledge of this type of problem. There are many cars with anti pinch power windows that they must successfully repair every week. Do you know any? Their advice may save you compounding a simple problem if Greebloods advice doesn't work. Otherwise, keep doing what you do. Allan

57,000Km is a very low distance travelled for a 2004 car(assumption). Do you have service documents? Performance Autos. would have been the original dealer if it is a Tasie car. The service centre is at Motors in Launceston, I have found them reasonable so far.
    My old 2003 C5, after it came out of warrantee, I got serviced at a local mechanic, he damaged most of the fasteners. Not used to them.

Tadpole

Yeah I am considering getting it fixed at a mechanic or panel beater but I am unsure as to which ones to approach and my father is an automotive teacher so has a good idea as to it.. I do have the service documents and it was bought from Performance Auto's in July 2005 and then kept by the owner till they traded it in to motors in Hobart on a brand new c5 I believe. I have now added just under 20000km and it has had basic services done by my father using proper oils etc. My parents originally bought a car from motors for me which I did not keep due to Motor's Launceston's attitude. There solution to a car under warranty with an airbag light on was to turn it off. Hence my hatred for Motors.....

Tadpole

Turn the light off by disabling it I mean!!

I would think that disabling the airbag was pretty serious. It compromises the safety systems of the car. The car should have a diagnostic check. Have you tried Greenbloods suggestions? What evidence do you have of the disabling? A letter to Motors would be appropriate.
    There are many sites on the net you could visit re. this problem. Search for "citroen c5 airbag problems". One problem is wiring connections under seats.
    Allan

Tadpole

It wasn't my c5 with the problem, it was another car which my parents had bought for me before my C5. My C5 has no airbag problems. My old car had it disabled by the removal and isolation of the cord under the passenger seat. I got rid of that car anyway and now I have my C5 which everything works properly except for the driver automatic window. And yes I did try Greenblood's reset procedure but unfortunately it did not fix the issue. If my c5 had something wrong with it majorly then I would take it to French Car Care in Hobart or Motors if I had to but the window is not critically important, just annoying!!

UFO

I had a loan series 2 C5 2.2 HDi today while my car was serviced. At one point I had need to put the front windows down - I think it was hot when I got back in the car. When I flicked the up buttons a minute or so later I noticed the passenger window went straight up but the driver's would only go up in uneven increments by repetitive use of the button. I did this a few times to make sure (whilst waiting for slow traffic lights) and no fix.

Could it be something as simple dirt in the frequently used switch or a worn switch? The car I was driving was an earlier 2.2 as it had the four speed box. It had about 139k km on it.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

yeah it could be anything but mine will sometimes go up automatically and there is resistance suggesting to me a sensor or dirts in tthe windoww track.

Hi Froggers,
    just today ( June 2nd 2018) my drivers window ( 2004 series 1 C5 V6 AUTO) began opening properly but only closed in small increments, about 2 or 3 cm at a time. I realised it was a programming thing because if could be fully opened and closed, eventually. I found a forum that mentioned that after a window repair you need to re-program the window. I tried that and it worked first time. So, I held the button up when it was already closed, held it for 10 seconds on the first click ( it has a second click so just hold it gently) , then lowered it as it normally works, to the bottom, and hold on first click for 10 seconds. All back to normal again. Cheers, I hope this helps. Please note, you have to actually time the 10 seconds. Good Luck.
    leithant likes this.

1000+ Posts

Hi all,
    Thanks
    Callum
    I suggest that you might benefit from contacting & joining the Citroen Car Club of Tasmania. One guy associated with it (immediate past secretary) lives in your NW area & is very technically cluey.

skp
    Fellow Frogger!

You'd be surprised at the amount of dirt that accumulates in the switches... and causes a few of these problems.
    Extract the switch module, pull it apart and clean it out.

skp

Thread Information