2012 c5
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 2012 c5

Fellow Frogger!

Default 2012 c5

Hi all, a couple of quick user questions re my 2012 c5

- is there an emergency release for the gear selector in a scenario where you lose power? Can't seem to find a reference to it in the owners manual.

Advertisement

- I noticed the there is no oil pressure lamp on the dash. If there is an oil pressure fault, does that come up as a written message with the service/stop lamp? Again no reference in the owners manual.

Would appreciate your advice.
    Cheers

UFO

Brake release - yes. Read your manual again please. In my manual it was clearly stated.

No doubt if there is oil pressure loss then the warning area in the middle of the speedo (where digital speed is normally displayed) would also come alive.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hello Kaza1.
    What model/motor have you got. Have you experienced the fault described in your first point. Mine is a 2l diesel auto/sequential gearbox and I can't imagine it locking in gear. Is yours a manual 1.6l petrol. If so it may be a clutch problem. A car that young must still be under warrantee. Losing power is a pretty serious fault. Back to the dealer!!!!

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Tasie C5, no faults with the car per se. More that my mum's c4 had a dead battery the other day. We wanted to push it out of the garage but couldn't get the auto gear selector to move out of lock. So I was wondering what I would in the scenario that mine failed.

UFO, I have honestly read and re-read the manual carefully but couldn't find reference to it (have they changed the manual? what is the page reference on yours?).

Re the oil light, more curious as most cars have an oil lamp but the C5 (or mum's c4 for that matter) don't. My c5 is the 1.6 Petrol Turbo with an auto.

cheers

Hi Kaza1,

I would very much like to know your impressions of your new Citroen. (Which look great!)

How does it perform with the relatively small 1.6 liter motor and how is the fuel economy?

Are you happy with the steel suspension and does the car ride smoothly?

The lack of hydraulics in the suspension certainly simplifies things, My Citroen Berlingo has almost travelled 200,000 km and has been very reliable and cheap to service.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Kiamaian

After 6 months and 6.5k in mine, here is what I have noticed:

- Good torque for a small engine and fairly responsive actually. Sounds nice and doesn't mind a rev. Does not struggle that much, even with family on board and AC on. Great, relaxed highway car.

- But transmission upshifts far too early - particularly 4th gear at low speed. Engine is torquey so it almost gets away with it, but it would be nicer if it held gears for longer (sport mode does this, but the downshifts in that mode are also "sporty", meaning fairly quick and noticeable).

- Has the common issue of door creaks - have to WD the door rubbers every so often which fixes for a while and then a recoat is req'd (noted in other posts and overseas).

- find the steering too light and vague

- brakes far too touchy and very unprogressive in my opinion (I will be looking for aftermarket pads when the time comes to see if that makes any difference)

- the brake dust!! Oh the brake dust

- some quirks (why does Air Con speed up when you select reverse?)

- silly cup holder

On the plus side: Style, Fuel Consumption is around 10.5L per 100k in pure city driving (thats pretty impressive for an almost Commodore/Falcon size car. On the highway, I have had it down to high 5s!). Ride is nice on steel springs - firmish but compliant (in my opinion, nicer than the hydro suspension which made me feel a little queasy). Handling is fine - no sports car and some body roll - but can be hustled around corners and hangs on well.

If you want more views, visit www.citroenchat.com and check out their C5 forum. It is a singaporian site and their C5's are pretty much the same spec as ours and they have the 1.6 Turbo engines. Many have posted their views on their cars.

The only other issue is that the earlier 1.6 Turbo engines had a bit of a cloud over them in terms of reliability. In 2010, they re-enginered their timing components. Time will tell how reliable ther newer engines are I guess.

Mostly happy overall but not perfect - but then what car is? And for $32k, great value for its comfort, style and features - and something a little different.

By the way, referring to my orginal post, would appreciate advice on how to activate the emergency brake - gear release in the event of a power failure (couldn't find it in the owners manual).

cheers
    Last edited by Kaza1; 21st November 2012 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks Kaza1 for your detailed and honest reply.

I would find the squeaking door rubbers annoying too. It would seem that the chassis must be flexing. In regard to the transmission up shifting too early, you would think this could be changed electronically by Citroen. France is relatively flat and the car has been programmed for the home market. I personally like manuals and a six speed transmission in this car would be nice.

Sorry I can't help with the emergency brake but the salesman who sold you the car should find out for you.

UFO

On page 75 of my C5s manual (2009) model a section headed, with a blue background ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE, commences and runs for 7 pages with descriptions and illustrations. I think you will find a separate segment about the gearbox would have descriptions too.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by Kaza1 View Post
    - Has the common issue of door creaks - have to WD the door rubbers every so often which fixes for a while and then a recoat is req'd (noted in other posts and overseas).

- the brake dust!! Oh the brake dust
    I am now on to my second new C5, an Exclusive, the previous being a 2009 comfort. I haven't noticed any creaking from rubber seals even when the previous one was tipping 3 years old and 45,000 km. But the brake dust!!!! Full time job cleaning wheels. At least the 18" rims on the Exclusive are far easier to clean than the 17" on the Comfort.... easier to get spray, a brush and a cloth in and around.

Regards,

David

Fellow Frogger!

Hi there,

Had a query re the Transmission which is an AM6/AT6. Noticed a slight delay of around a second or so before drive engages when you select "D", most noticeable when shifting from R to D (ie in a three point turn scenario).

Is that a characteristic of the transmission? Would most appreciate some views.

Re door creaks, seems to be issue for some but not others. See this post: http://www.citroenchat.com/showthread.php?t=27701

Quote Originally Posted by Kaza1 View Post
    Hi there,

Had a query re the Transmission which is an AM6/AT6. Noticed a slight delay of around a second or so before drive engages when you select "D", most noticeable when shifting from R to D (ie in a three point turn scenario).

Is that a characteristic of the transmission? Would most appreciate some views.

Re door creaks, seems to be issue for some but not others. See this post: http://www.citroenchat.com/showthread.php?t=27701
    Re the trans delay, I notice it when reversing and whilst still rolling back the move into D takes a sec or so to happen. Not a good practice to engage drive while still reversing anyway so I should stop it!

David

Thread Information