Chasing hydraulic leak in 75 DS23
  • Register
  • Help

Default Chasing hydraulic leak in 75 DS23

Hi
    I trying to track down a hydraulic leak on my DS, I'm asking if anyone can give me a list of the usual suspects, its on the drivers side sort of underneath the steering knuckle. That where I can see most of the stains on the ground. I've got it up on ramps at the moment and removed the plate that covers the underside under the motor, hasn't really helped me much. I did notice that the rubber boot around the steering column join has a crack in it and doesn't have a metal band around it like the steering boots do, could this be it???
    Any help appreciated.
    Cheers
    Ray

Advertisement

Could be, but you need to CLEAN EVERYTHING first.
    Then you have a chance of detecting the source of the leak.

Now the engine undertray is removed, begin the cleaning process. You'll also see there is a return line from the rear suspension which runs transversely from right to left.
    The rotating union boot is not likely to leak unless there is a serious problem in the rotary union end seal. Have that boot replaced, it is there for a reason.

Remove front guard to check the suspension boot is intact and the return line in place.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by richo; 11th November 2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: clearly, I was unclear, my bad.

When you say "remove guard" you mean the rear guard drivers side?, is that where the suspension boot is? Thanks, have started wiping bits to clean them.
    cheers
    Ray

Fellow Frogger

The things that often leak and that you generally can't see with everything in place are the front suspension boots and some of the return piping. When the front suspension boots leak, the stone guard under the half axle mounting becomes wet with LHM. The rack and pump (and BVH gear) are all visible with out removing anything. So, do as Richo suggests and remove the right front guard (quite easy) and have a look at the boot. If it's been leaking for a long time, you will probably need to replace the bump stop rubbers too.

When you say "remove guard" you mean the rear guard drivers side?, is that where the suspension boot is? Thanks, have started wiping bits to clean them.
    cheers
    Ray

ok got it. thanks

UFO

Just to clarify, it sounds that you need to remove the FRONT guard.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Just to clarify, it sounds that you need to remove the FRONT guard.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Thread Information