Dilemma - to sell or not?
  • Register
  • Help
    TRT

Default Dilemma - to sell or not?

My C5 (2011 2.2 Exclusive) is coming up to the end of its 2-year lease. And I now have to make a decision on whether to buy up the residual at around $34,000, or sell it.

When I purchased the C5 as a new car it was pefect for my trips from one side of Canberra to the other for work. Around 60 Km/day round trip. But I have now moved back to university life and the round trip is 12 km. The car barely warms up on these short trips. So fuel economy - which was returning a steady 6.8 L/100Km for the first 20,000 Km in mostly city traffic - has blown out to 7.7.

Advertisement

Wanted to swap with SWMBO who now drives the C4, but she says C5 is too big and she can't park it.

Would love to keep the car but it's not entirely suitable for my current lifestyle. On the other hand owning a Citroen has never been a decision of common sense.

Any views?

TRT

If you sell it you could buy a bike. 6km each way is well within a comfortable ride and Canberra is a good bike city I hear. Then again do you ever go anywhere else, weekends away etc. The C5 would be perfect for that. If it were me I would keep the C5 and buy a bike, would not have to worry about fuel costs then, and you would get fitter. Then again can you afford to have $34k sitting in the garage doing very little. It has to be your call
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

1000+ Posts

work out how much extra fuel you are using a week ,divide that into how much you are going to loose on a new car when you drive it out of the showroom or the possible hassles you could inherit from a second hand one,you will possibly find that the cost of extra fuel you use ,will go a long way ,before you equal the losses in the change over , of course you will have to factor in any imminent disasters that may occur with the C5 difficult decision PUGS

If you have the $34k sitting about, buy a Classic Car and toddle off to work in that for a couple of years.

Find it difficult how you equate the concept of the increased fuel cost to the $34k., but I'm not wearing your shoes.
    Last edited by richo; 11th November 2012 at 01:07 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Classic car is a good suggestion...and a year travelling to soften up the pain of offing the very expensive bit of tin.......take her who must always be obeyed.

Fellow Frogger

The fuel cost is not material. For the round trip of 12km per day, my simple calculations suggest it's an extra 28 litres a year. Now there's a fuel consumption 'blow out' most people would like to have! It's not even worth thinking about and fuel consumption is rarely a good reason to buy a new car unless both the annual distance and difference in consumption are large. That being out of the way, what's the value of the car versus the payout? Well south of $34K I'd reckon, so you may find it best to roll over the lease with a more realistic residual and spread the depreciation over time. Since you bought your car, the new prices on similar cars have dropped and start at about $33K driveaway fo a new entry level C5.

TRT

Just to clarify. I'm considering disposing of the C5 and not replacing it. I'm due to retire (again) in about 18 months.

The real question is should I keep a Citroen, not should have a car.

TRT

No. If you have to ponder it, the answer is no.

To mention a brand, is to bring emotion into the question, and with an assumption of emotional stability, you cannot be too serious about what we may think.

Fellow Frogger!

34k seems to be the dealer prices for the exclusive. You know the car and the history, so keeping it would make some sense if you are only going to replace it with another car. Although being a Citroen the big depreciation is about to start along with the expirey of the warranty period?

Fellow Frogger!

I have often thought that if a law came in stopping us from driving old cars every one would be up in arms but how many of us take advantage of this wonderful opportunity ??

Glad to be alive - - - now.

John Paas.

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

every time a law does come along... has been proposed several times. The 'minimum environmental impact' life cycle is around 32 years, otherwise the energy cost of recycling exceeds the environmental damage of continued operation...

Quote Originally Posted by gilberthenry View Post
    I have often thought that if a law came in stopping us from driving old cars every one would be up in arms but how many of us take advantage of this wonderful opportunity ??

Glad to be alive - - - now.

John Paas.

Sell it and put it all on race 5 no 7, then you can buy an Aston Martin, cycling in Canberra during August is a really bad idea!

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Oh bugger! His Dad and I talk about the resto of this ID all the time. What a pity he has to sell.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

TRT

Default Procrastination rules

Seems to be no compelling arguemtn either way. Think I'll novate for another year and make up my mind then.
    Last edited by TRT; 23rd November 2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Heading

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Oh bugger! His Dad and I talk about the resto of this ID all the time. What a pity he has to sell.
    You should have heard me gasp when I saw that listing.....

I was talking to his dad last weekend and hadn't realized he was actually selling it. Sad day.

Thread Information