D series water pump tools?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default D series water pump tools?

Hi all,

Advertisement

Does anyone have any of the tools referenced in the factory manuals for overhauling D series water pumps? Traction tools may also be the same, not sure. If so I would be interested in borrowing same (would pay for postage both ways).

The special tools mentioned are Box Spanner 1646-T, Bush extractor 2291-T, dolly and mandrel MR3676-270, Stand MR3676-180.

Of all these, the bush removal tool 2291-T is of the most interest as I expect that will be the one of most value. Can probably make do on the others, whether a recalcitrant bush can be extracted easily or not without damaging the pump body is the big question I see at present.

Thanks, leconte

Hi Leconte,

I'm sorry - I can't help with the special tools, but having rebuilt quite a few pumps in my time for the price of the good reproductions that are around today I would not bother anymore.

There are often issues with the seal reseating properly which can be a pain... I pulled one out three times after it started leaking, and the fourth time I put a repro pump in - problem solved...

All the best,

Mark....

DS

Are you are talking early D type pump? Its easier to buy now for later D pumps.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Fellow Frogger!

Hi DS & DS21BVH,

I have an ID19 65/66 model. The water pump is DF231-04a I believe. Different to the very early ones and the later (post 65/6) ones.

I hear what you are saying about rebuilds (Richo is advising similarly) but will probably attempt a rebuild, or at least a pull-down inspection. I think there is a kit available from the dutch site citrotech at a reasonable price of 34.5 euros plus postage:

http://citrotech.nl/shop/shop/revisi...idds-oud-type/

Franzose doesn't seem to have all the parts for an ID. I may need the final gasket that goes onto the motor mount, which is not the one in the kit above but is available from Franzose for 3 euros (plus twice as much or more for postage!).

I can't see a full reproduction pump to exactly match what I have on either of these sites, Franzose offers a swap-over for a reconditioned one of my model.

Any further thoughts gratefully received.

Regards,
    Leconte

DS

Your parts link is right. The problem I've noted with rebuilding an early pump is having a good basis to work with. The body are usually pitted, shafts can be crap where the seal sits and the impeller blades rotted.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

My turn.
    Bravo DS. Couldn't have expressed it as concisely as you have, describes the usual conditions in a nutshell.

Dismantling the pump is interesting, reassembly more precise.

cheers,
    richo

Thread Information