Early series 2 Xantia autos question
  • Register
  • Help

Default Early series 2 Xantia autos question

Did the early series 2 Xantias that came with the ZF auto gearbox use the old 8 valve motor, as the series one autos did, or did they get the 16 valve motor that the AL4 vehicles got?

Advertisement
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Hi Bruce, I have not seen a Xantia with 16V and ZF 4HP20 (as opposed to 4HP14), but have seen a 406 with this combination. It was built like that - I checked against the VIN.

Fellow Frogger

Facelefted 8 Valves with the ZF 4HP18 were available alongside the 16 Valve with AL4.
    A facelifted 8 Valve is uncommon, but there are a few out there.
    The 4HP20 was used in the V6 Xantia.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Hi Bruce, I have not seen a Xantia with 16V and ZF 4HP20 (as opposed to 4HP14), but have seen a 406 with this combination. It was built like that - I checked against the VIN.
    Yep, the changeover happened sometime in March 1998 (build date) for the 406.

In any case, the ZF 4HP20 and AL4 had a wiggly gate (a la Mercedes style), whereas the 4HP14 was more conventional.

Breaking that down further, the 4HP20 had two buttons (sport and snow) and the AL4 had three buttons (sport, snow & 1).

I almost wish I'd taken a photo now.

It was definitely a 4HP20 on a 16V motor; the oil cooler is a giveaway. According to Service CitroŽn it wasn't offered on Xantias! The way it drove made me prefer an AL4.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I almost wish I'd taken a photo now.

It was definitely a 4HP20 on a 16V motor; the oil cooler is a giveaway. According to Service CitroŽn it wasn't offered on Xantias! The way it drove made me prefer an AL4.
    No, you are correct.

The 406 with the 2.0 16V petrol engine (XU10J4R) was indeed fitted with the 4HP20, but later switched to the AL4 (in March '98).

OK this is a theoretical question only - so a 4HP20 gearbox off a relevant 406 could be mated to a Xantia 16 valve if the AL4 died?
    I imagine it's not that straightforward.
    Adam, what did you prefer about the way the AL4 drives?
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

It wasn't as vague about change points or so mushy on kickdown. I can't say much about the 4HP20's condition as from memory the car had 240+ on it. Didn't make any odd noises, simply not as likeable.

Thread Information