DS21BVH another post French Car Day problem
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon5 DS21BVH another post French Car Day problem

After all my tuning problems my DS21BVH went well on the way to the French Car Day - for a while. A few kms to go and a horrible scraping noise appeared from under the bonnet every time I accelerated. It sounded as if something which was rotating was touching something intermittently. We got there and enjoyed the day.
    Coming home I could prevent the noise by accelerating very gently but I was dreading the drive up Old Belair Rd. and the other steep roads it was necessary to use to get home.
    Up the hill I found that the noise was less if I used a low gear and 3000rpm or more.
    I thought that the problem may be related to the fan blades touching the cowling although in theory the radiator should move within close limits as the power train moved.
    Having today made sure that the cowling was evenly spaced from the fan blades I went for a test. As soon as I drove up the steep slope outside our house the noise was there as bad as before.

Has anyone got any suggestions please? I was told recently that my side engine mounts were not that great.

Don

Advertisement
    Citroen DS21 Pallas 1970 Renault 16TS 1976 Renault 5TS 1981

Quote Originally Posted by tresbon2 View Post
    After all my tuning problems my DS21BVH went well on the way to the French Car Day - for a while. A few kms to go and a horrible scraping noise appeared from under the bonnet every time I accelerated. It sounded as if something which was rotating was touching something intermittently. We got there and enjoyed the day.
    Coming home I could prevent the noise by accelerating very gently but I was dreading the drive up Old Belair Rd. and the other steep roads it was necessary to use to get home.
    Up the hill I found that the noise was less if I used a low gear and 3000rpm or more.
    I thought that the problem may be related to the fan blades touching the cowling although in theory the radiator should move within close limits as the power train moved.
    Having today made sure that the cowling was evenly spaced from the fan blades I went for a test. As soon as I drove up the steep slope outside our house the noise was there as bad as before.

Has anyone got any suggestions please? I was told recently that my side engine mounts were not that great.

Don
    If the blades are touching the cowling it'll be quite a noise! I'd expect you'd be able to see marks on the blades if you look closely, or marks on the cowling. Was it engine speed related or road speed related?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    If the blades are touching the cowling it'll be quite a noise! I'd expect you'd be able to see marks on the blades if you look closely, or marks on the cowling. Was it engine speed related or road speed related?
    Thanks John. I think it is engine speed related, but that is a good question. I will check more closely tomorrow and also look for marks on cowling and blades. I have had the fan blades touching the cowling before when I could not get the cowling far enough down because some ignoramus had mounted the blade spring thing on the the centre of the steering rack at the top instead of the bottom. I fixed that recently. But that noise did not vary with the amount of acceleration.
    Don

Are you sure that a brake disc is not rubbing on the undertray? The motor and transaxle can rotate on the engine mounts under acceleration causing the bottom of a disk to contact the tinplate.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Hi Don,

It does sound like fan blades touching the cowling - make sure the two bottom radiator bolts are tight and the mounts are not squashed.

To prevent this the critical adjustment seems to be the "front to back" adjustment available on the top 5mm bolt at the end of the arm which connect to the water pump. Even if the fan looks evenly spaced in the cowl if this is not correct it will still cause the noise.

I adjusted mine by loosening the bolt with the engine running and gently moving it front to back finding the middle ground between when it seemed to touch.

Cheers,

Mark...

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    Are you sure that a brake disc is not rubbing on the undertray? The motor and transaxle can rotate on the engine mounts under acceleration causing the bottom of a disk to contact the tinplate.
    Thanks Michael, I wish it was that simple. However the undertray is off at the moment.
    Don

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Hi Don,

It does sound like fan blades touching the cowling - make sure the two bottom radiator bolts are tight and the mounts are not squashed.

To prevent this the critical adjustment seems to be the "front to back" adjustment available on the top 5mm bolt at the end of the arm which connect to the water pump. Even if the fan looks evenly spaced in the cowl if this is not correct it will still cause the noise.

I adjusted mine by loosening the bolt with the engine running and gently moving it front to back finding the middle ground between when it seemed to touch.

Cheers,

Mark...
    Thanks Mark. I had forgotten about that adjustment affecting the clearances. I will try that.
    Don

Thread Information