IAT coolant
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: IAT coolant

Default IAT coolant

Reading the thread on OS stockists took me to have a gander at Citroen Classics in UK and onto Darrin's blog
    and a little matter of coolants. Specifically this page with reference to propylene glycol IAT coolant preferences.

http://citroenclassics.wordpress.com...ur-older-cars/

You can tell me anything and I will generally believe it (!) and this has me worrying about what my block might look like inside....

My car has been sitting for 12months with only a weekly start, and there is corrosion around the pump in/outlets. That white crusty (aluminium oxide?) gunk....

Advertisement

Had a look round for potential sellers of such coolant s and came up with Bracton but that seems to be in industrial quantities and who knows what the mix is. Dr Cool concentrate by Nulon is another product that is touted as non caustic on aluminium and seals etc ( off Land Rover site).

Anyone got any theories on all this.

Cheers

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Reading the thread on OS stockists took me to have a gander at Citroen Classics in UK and onto Darrin's blog
    and a little matter of coolants. Specifically this page with reference to propylene glycol IAT coolant preferences.

http://citroenclassics.wordpress.com...ur-older-cars/

You can tell me anything and I will generally believe it (!) and this has me worrying about what my block might look like inside....

My car has been sitting for 12months with only a weekly start, and there is corrosion around the pump in/outlets. That white crusty (aluminium oxide?) gunk....

Had a look round for potential sellers of such coolant s and came up with Bracton but that seems to be in industrial quantities and who knows what the mix is. Dr Cool concentrate by Nulon is another product that is touted as non caustic on aluminium and seals etc ( off Land Rover site).

Anyone got any theories on all this.

Cheers

Steven
    I thought that link was really interesting and thanks for posting it.

Over the years since my first car (alloy head Renault 4CV), I've used rainwater with soluble oil, Castrol concentrate, mixed with distilled water, with complete success. Also BP premixed coolant, no problems. Now I'm using the standard Peugeot long life coolant.

More or less, I've never had a corrosion problem of note.

I thought the Propylene Glycol discussion made complete sense. I've never seen the product in Oz mind you, but it might be around.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I have been told over a few beers (ha!) that distilled water plus cutting oil is a good combo.

Thread Information