DS21 BVH drama post French Car Festival
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS21 BVH drama post French Car Festival

Following the French Car Festival on Sunday I took my grandchildren and headed back to my daughters house. On the way I stopped and was talking to frogger skp when my grand daughter called out that she had cut her leg. In a bit of argy bargy with her cousin she'd knocked against the exhaust pipes. The resultant trip to the hospital resulted in 10 stitches. 'Vicky' "1" , Jacinta "0"

Pulled up in the driveway, on the way to the hospital, and pushed the pedal on the park brake. Pedal went part way to the floor but car still rolled. Pushed a little harder and the pedal dropped to the floor. No park brake at all. Out came the block of 4"x4" and the grandson was despatched to apply the emergency 'park brake'

If you ever break the brake cable on a BVH model (is probably the same for a BVM ) don't expect to do it easily. Because the car has 'in-board' discs it rises to a higher level of difficulty. It requires you dismantle the front end of the car. i.e. Remove spare wheel, radiator shroud, radiator, battery, front left mudguard, steering rack, withdraw the steering wheel, remove the foot pedal (mainly because the pin fitted to the end of the cable had been inserted before the pedal was mounted to the fire wall. With the cable jammed in the sleeve there was no movement and the head of the pin will come out on one side but not the other - when last installed it was done the wrong way requiring the pedal assemble to be removed before the pin could be extracted to recover the cable end cap)

Only then can you get the cable and sleeve through the firewall, out of the sub-chassis and finally off the brake calipers. From there on to a cable maker for a replacement.

While all this is going on I bussed back to Denmark and will go back later to get the car. As I have a replacement foot pedal, with a release knob, I decided to leave the car dis-assembled until I can get the pedal to Perth. No sense in refitting everything and then needing to pull it down again to replace the pedal.

Pics show the engine bay with bits removed, the end of the cable where it parted from the end cap, the section where cable strand is broken and possibly where it is jammed. (It is on the end of the cable where it attaches to the drivers side caliper). There is also one of the replacement pedal complete with release knob.

Advertisement

With the car being forty three years old, and the cable appearing to be original, it has done well. The designers would have not worried too much about the amount of time it takes and they'd have expected the car to be scrapped before the cable needed replacement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS21 BVH drama post French Car Festival-dsc9283.jpg   DS21 BVH drama post French Car Festival-dsc9285.jpg   DS21 BVH drama post French Car Festival-dsc9288.jpg   DS21 BVH drama post French Car Festival-dsc9299.jpg  
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Wow, what a monster of a job. I guess this would be a good time to check the condition of the park brake pads and replace if required?

Big hug for Jacinta, 10 stitches ouch! Poor girl...

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Hi Ross,

I agree that Citroen would not have worried too much about replacement - it's a pretty hefty cable. I must admit I'm a bit paranoid about it holding even when adjusted correctly and I carry a piece of 100x100 hardwood as a chock if parked on a slope. Glad to see I'm not alone...

Is your car a 69 model year (with a slopey dash) - or a 70 model year (three dial dash)...? If it's a 69 I just want to add it to my mental list of RHD 69 BVH's here in Aus.

I also neglected to add in my initial post - all the best for a speedy recovery for your Granddaughter - that is a very nasty injury. The poor girl...! I'd have not thought for a second that that could happen...!

Many thanks for the pics...

Cheers,

Mark...
    Last edited by ds21bvh; 24th October 2012 at 08:01 PM.

Bummer Ross.
    The park brake cable in a BVH is different to a BVM. Of course!
    Yep, it's a fair old job to remove and replace.

No joy for your grand daughter either, hope she heals quickly.

Note to self....take file to tail pipes if they're sharp. already removed the shark teeth on the front, didn't realise the rear held a "bitey bit" for the unwary.

richo
    Last edited by richo; 24th October 2012 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Hi Ross,

I agree that Citroen would not have worried too much about replacement - it's a pretty hefty cable. I must admit I'm a bit paranoid about it holding even when adjusted correctly and I carry a piece of 100x100 hardwood as a chock if parked on a slope. Glad to see I'm not alone...

Is your car a 69 model year (with a slopey dash) - or a 70 model year (three dial dash)...? If it's a 69 I just want to add it to my mental list of RHD 69 BVH's here in Aus.

I also neglected to add in my initial post - all the best for a speedy recovery for your Granddaughter - that is a very nasty injury. The poor girl...! I'd have not thought for a second that that could happen...!

Many thanks for the pics...

Cheers,

Mark...
    It is a 1969-70 as far as I can tell. It has the three dial dash but has the taped steering wheel and push button door handles rather than the flush handles. A 'bitsa' in other words.

I did take a file to the edge of the exhaust but it was already reasonably blunt. I think what happened is that she stepped into it allowing it to puncture the skin before her momentum dragged the leg across the tip. It was that combination of punch and drag that did the damage.

Thanks for the expressions of sympathy. Jacinta was a bit sore when I left Perth but still smiling. It hasn't put her off the cars though. She was still negotiating with me over which of my cars she was going to inherit.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Fellow Frogger!

Does anyone know if the BVM handbrake assembly can be easily fitted to a BVH ? Personally I hate foot operated parking brakes no matter what the car. I am also suspicious of the new electric ones too.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    It is a 1969-70 as far as I can tell. It has the three dial dash but has the taped steering wheel and push button door handles rather than the flush handles. A 'bitsa' in other words.

I did take a file to the edge of the exhaust but it was already reasonably blunt. I think what happened is that she stepped into it allowing it to puncture the skin before her momentum dragged the leg across the tip. It was that combination of punch and drag that did the damage.

Thanks for the expressions of sympathy. Jacinta was a bit sore when I left Perth but still smiling. It hasn't put her off the cars though. She was still negotiating with me over which of my cars she was going to inherit.
    Bugger! Bad luck Ross. I remember driving past you in the dripping CX as we left, thinking what a lucky possum she was to be riding with her grandfather in a DS21 BVH. I was also thinking "long way to Denmark"...

Hope she's OK (Jacinta of course).

Best,
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

I had a D special spit out a brake pad (clip went ping) so I set the hand brake to non-locking (turned off the ratchet using the litle knob on the handle) and drove home that way. Being a late ('75 chassis number by Reynolds) speciale it has three pedals...

The little knob will lock the release lever so the handbrake can't be released. or let it work normally (pull on & stays on until released) or only on if you're pulling on the lever.

Thread Information