C5 V6 petrol depollution fault
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C5 V6 petrol depollution fault

The depollution fault light is permanently displayed on my 2005 C5 V6 petrol, and the engine is running roughly with a slight lack of power. The coils and spark plugs were replaced ten months ago, and I would be surprised if the fault was ignition related. Searches on the net regarding this fault suggest the fuel filter can be the culprit, but these cases are referring to diesel powered vehicles. I'm about to replace the fuel filter to give it a try, but has anyone had this experience with the C5, and have they successfully fixed the problem?

Thanks, Richard

Advertisement

Check the MAF sensor, after the air cleaner.

Fellow Frogger

Suggest you find someone to read the fault codes as that will help you.
    You could change the filter and it's probably a good idea if it's overdue or you suspect it's a starvation problem.
    The catalyst is worth checking as they can become blocked with age.
    Check the breather piping for cracks and also ensure the manifold is not distorted and leaking air.
    If your rocker covers are leaking, it's possible that a coil or plug has been affected.

Tadpole

Thanks for your suggestion. It was the MAS sensor, and it couldn't be fixed by cleaning. The giveaway was the over rich fuel mixture, rough idling along with stalling and lack of power.

Richard

Hello Richard. The symptoms you described occurred on my old C5 and through deduction,we came up with the MAF fault. We were able to get a good second hand one. It is amazing that this device can screw up so many parts of the cars CPU.

Hope you are able to get a good original part. We found a few after market ones on the net but decided not to take the risk. ( they may be OK ???). Allan

jmn

I know this will appear simplistic Richard, but before you attempt the expensive fixes, have you tried the 'Italian tuneup'?

IOW take it out on a quiet country road and thrash the arse off it through the gears for a few minutes.
    Previous:
    2009 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
    2003 C5 2.0 auto
    2003 Xsara 1.6 auto
    2000 Xsara 2.0 manual
    1996 306 XR

Quote Originally Posted by tasie C5 View Post
    Hello Richard. The symptoms you described occurred on my old C5 and through deduction,we came up with the MAF fault. We were able to get a good second hand one. It is amazing that this device can screw up so many parts of the cars CPU.

Hope you are able to get a good original part. We found a few after market ones on the net but decided not to take the risk. ( they may be OK ???). Allan
    Just a query. Do all Citroen C5 petrol engines have a MAF sensor? I can not locate one on my 2003 C5 and I can only find listings for HDI ones on ebay.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5
    2004 C2 (now with youngest son)
    2006 C2 (now with eldest son)

Looked at a mates petrol, fuel injected car of the same vintage and it had a MAF. It is located just after the air filter and has a electrical plug that sends the sensors information to the CPU .

Was that a 2litre petrol or a V6. I have a 2003 C5 2litre petrol with an intermittent antipolution fault, so checking the MAF, if it has one may be what I need to do. It has been suggested hydraulic lifters is what needs replacing but that is an expensive job. By the way what is a MAF.
    cheers Tony

If you get antipollution and ESP faults logged at the same time on a Peugeot or CitroŽn, it's usually the battery.

Tony, I suggest the car be plugged into a Lexia. Otherwise you can guess all day. The Lexia won't always tell you all the tales or the root cause but it creates a far better informed platform to launch investigations from.

Hello Deesse. The MAF is located in the air intake duct. It has a transponder and behind the transponder there are 2 very fine ceramic wires. These wires carry an electrical current that heats them ( similar to a toaster ) The current that passes through the wires changes as air is sucked into the motor by the turbo. The change in resistance in the wires as they cool when the intake air rushes past is monitored by the main computer. It is able to then regulate many other inputs to the engine in particular the fuel/air mixture. When the MAF is not functioning a lot of faults may come up on the computer. Allan.

Ps. The MAF can be cleaned by a special MAF cleaner. Particles that escape the air cleaner may settle on the wires and oxidise this changes the resistance of the wires and sends wrong signals to the computer.
    Last edited by tasie C5; 29th October 2012 at 11:04 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Mass Air Flow Sensor = MAF. Dirt on the wire[s] can affect the readings sent to the computer. Open circuit [broken] wire usually means the motor will start but run at little more than an idle.

Richard

Thread Information