DS sand
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: DS sand

Default DS sand

Hi Dees,

Advertisement

Drove over some sand the other day and had to break. Shortly after the engine coughed to a stop. an hour later it was fine. But now I notice a 'farty' sound in the engine. carby? Filter? What to do? Ideas?

cheers
    Dorian

Fellow Frogger

Could be a lot of things Dorian ... where to begin?
    Did you damage anything? Is the noise from the exhaust?
    Look for anything loose or cracked, like a breather pipe that's fallen off.
    Did you damage the exhaust? The flex pipe for example?

Thanks for the reply. No damage. But I was going down a steep hill. Thought something might have lodged in the fuel system, hence it clonking out with a splutter. How do I clean the carby?

Fellow Frogger

You dismantle the carby to clean it properly, but you should buy a service kit to do that. Follow the manual to set it up correctly.
    If it's a Weber, this is worth a read for Steve's guidance on dealing with the carby:
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...driving-me-mad

Thanks for our help. I really appreciate it mate. So if it sounds like air in e motor it's the carby right?

Fellow Frogger

Not necessarily a problem with the carby and I'm unsure what you mean by 'air in thee motor'?
    You need to be more specific about the noise you are chasing and locate it's source. Start by checking the breather pipe is not loose or broken and also the rubber union between the filter and carby. If something has split or fallen off, then it could make a noise you've not previously heard.

Okay thanks David. Yeah, feels like something is lodged in a filter or carby or something... it's just a farty noise in the engine since the sand downhill braking sharply incident. Some gunk lodged somewhere in the engine methinks.

Found out what the drama was. You were right on money David . Not the carby. My local mechanic mate (my DS mechanic is in Sydney and I'm up the Coast) has observed an exhaust leak in the engine. There is a connection between the engine manifold and the engine pipe with a clamp - rusted. It is leaking right there. So the question is: is there a gasket between these two pipes? And can you buy the clamp?

Fellow Frogger

Good that you found the problem. There's no gasket. The flex pipe slips over the downpipe and inside the intermediate pipe. Seal it with muffler goo like ManiSeal and fit a new clamp. The clamp is actually meant to fit onto a bracket on the sump, so the downpipe and forward end of the flex pipe become one with the engine. Have a look at the parts diagram, but don't be to surprised if the bracket is missing. The bracket is actually a good idea. You can buy the correct type of clamp by itself or as part of a complete exhaust fitting kit from most of the usual suspects. I remember I had to file a bit off the side of the aftermarket clamp to get it fit properly. Any muffler place would be able to temporarily fix it though.
    Last edited by David S; 26th October 2012 at 10:16 PM.

Mate, a wonderful reply. Thanks for all your advice.

Thread Information