The Other 2CV RAID.. a short report
  • Register
  • Help

Default The Other 2CV RAID.. a short report

Better late than never..
    After the official 2CV RAID ended in Byron bay the scene was set for satisfying deux chevaux fever.
    Some 11 assorted ducks started the RAID proper in Coober Pedy.
    from there to William creek and on to the Oonadatta Track where we stopped at Lake Eyre (southern reach)
    Coward springs was next where we camped for the night and enjoyed the warm natural springs from our great artesian basin.
    Maree,leigh creek and to Farina.. once a bustling town on the old Ghan line now ruins.
    an overnight stay and it's down to Wilpena pound where we camp again before heading to Arkaroola (meteors) and on to Innamincka where we camp on the banks of the mighty Cooper.
    we are in Burke and Wills country now...their spirits rest nearby
    To the Dig Tree and on to Birdsville...camping along the way...bush style
    The skys are clearer than you can imagine and space vast..
    At Birdsville we are allowed to display our 2CV's on the Birdsville racecourse..the first time any cars have been allowed on the track..
    After leaving we headed to Winton via the Hot springs at Bedourie where we encountered the Camel man trekking the open roads with his camel Noodles
    reaching Winton was via the Diamantina national park and the dinosaur digs..
    Some opted for staying in some of the old pubs in Winton...there are 4 !! and we spent some time visting all of them..esp Griesy, Mr Moore & embedded journo Mr Osborne who is writing an article for Unique cars on the trip
    The open air picture theatre was a highlight and worth a visit as they show old movies and shorts and a fading relic of old Australia.
    leaving Winton we go to Hughendon & Mt Garnet,Innot Hot springs,Millia Millia Falls,Yungaburra and many,many camps later Cairns before our journey home...but that is another story...
    PS sorry but this tale is very brief as this journey was over 6 weeks...cheersThe Other 2CV RAID.. a short report-dsc02688.jpgThe Other 2CV RAID.. a short report-dsc02650.jpgThe Other 2CV RAID.. a short report-dsc02621.jpgThe Other 2CV RAID.. a short report-dsc02608.jpgThe Other 2CV RAID.. a short report-dsc02606.jpgThe Other 2CV RAID.. a short report-dsc02585.jpgThe Other 2CV RAID.. a short report-dsc02573.jpgThe Other 2CV RAID.. a short report-dsc02561.jpgThe Other 2CV RAID.. a short report-dsc02494.jpg

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Other 2CV RAID.. a short report-dsc02799.jpg   The Other 2CV RAID.. a short report-dsc02745.jpg  
    Last edited by dogboy; 23rd October 2012 at 09:36 AM.
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

JBN

You lucky bastards.

I saw Viking and Griesey in Sydney a month ago and they still had smiles on their dials.

John

If anyone would like to read the article written about the RAID for UNIQUE CARS mag..it is out now at your local newsagent
    enjoy....
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

JBN

Dogboy, I went out and bought a copy of Unique Cars. Just finished reading all about the Raid. A very good article with plenty of photos and a good storyline. I think many readers of Unique Cars will read it just to confirm that the Looney Left is best left alone to their strange vehicles.

I am seriously interested in Harley's Simpson Desert crossing. Hopefully he will cross from west to east as that gives the best angles for the sand dunes and its always better with the sun behind you for most of the day (Raiders being late risers and late finishers).

John

I was quite pleased to see 6 pages dedicated to the story of the funny Citroens (or VW as most thought they were)
    After the RAID a lot thought one in 2 years time would be great instead of waiting another 4 years for the next....
    I loved what Harley did to his little Duck and have no doubt he will do the crossing with Etoille (his lovely soon to be wife)
    I bet a few others will want to join him on that Odessy...
    In 4 yrs time however is Byron Bay to Broome.....can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Dogboy, I went out and bought a copy of Unique Cars. Just finished reading all about the Raid. A very good article with plenty of photos and a good storyline. I think many readers of Unique Cars will read it just to confirm that the Looney Left is best left alone to their strange vehicles.

I am seriously interested in Harley's Simpson Desert crossing. Hopefully he will cross from west to east as that gives the best angles for the sand dunes and its always better with the sun behind you for most of the day (Raiders being late risers and late finishers).

John
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Bugger, would love to have 2 copies but unlikely finding the magazine in France. Would the story be online? Anyone kind enough to look for email address or phone no so I can contact them.
    Cheers
    Viking Bastard

Cheers Bastard
    Mr Osborne is sending everyone a copy...will request he send 2 for you...Jen had lunch with him and Griesy today
    Quote Originally Posted by 2CViking View Post
    Bugger, would love to have 2 copies but unlikely finding the magazine in France. Would the story be online? Anyone kind enough to look for email address or phone no so I can contact them.
    Cheers
    Viking Bastard
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Thanks Andrew.
    Paul Osborn should get a PDF file he can ship overseas. Not sure about copyrights? Do you know?
    Cheers
    Viking

Hi Peter
    Apparently Griesy is in charge of sending the copies out to all participants and I have sent him an email requesting 2 copies for yourself.....Cheers !!
    PS not sure re copyright
    Quote Originally Posted by 2CViking View Post
    Thanks Andrew.
    Paul Osborn should get a PDF file he can ship overseas. Not sure about copyrights? Do you know?
    Cheers
    Viking
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Thread Information