Traction Avant values
  • Register
  • Help

Icon7 Traction Avant values

Hi all, just wondering what would be a rough price guide for tractions these days. I would be particularly interested in the difference between light 15 and big 15 versions.

Advertisement

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by OnSafari View Post
    Hi all, just wondering what would be a rough price guide for tractions these days. I would be particularly interested in the difference between light 15 and big 15 versions.

Cheers
    Big 15 = $20K+
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Also what is the availability of big 15's?

Cheers

Fellow Frogger

Value depends so much on the individual car and the circumstances. The majority of cars are Legere/Light 15's, with the slightly larger Normale and Big 15's being relatively uncommon. Mechanically these are much the same. The 6 cylinder cars are all based on the larger body but longer from the furewall forward. Coupes, convertibles and longer versions exist, but are unusual and typically in different price ranges to the regulat 4 door cars.

There was a restored red Legere for sale near Canberra for a while asking $17,500.
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...ht-15-for-sale
    That's an indicator of value, but Shannons have had a couple over the years needing work for substantially under $10K as I recall. Projects, depending on condition and completeness would be under $1K upwards. There would be a modest premium for a Big 15, but a Big Six tends to be rather more expensive. Shannons sold a Big Six in the past year or so for about $30K and I know of a couple of other restored cars selling for more. Search the Shannons previous auction entries for the few they've sold because they have photos and a description of condition. There is often something for sale via CCOCA.

A good book for research of the range of cars is John Pressnell's book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Citroen-Tracti...traction+avant

I'm thinking of joining CCOCA, I assume this may be the best place for Traction availability? I'm keen on a big 15 as I value interior space!

Cheers

Fellow Frogger!

At a recent Mt Franklin Classic Car event, I was told of a Lt 15 for sale in Ballarat. "No Rust and on blocks for the last 20 years", I was told.
    Not having been to Ballarat for some time, my wife was keen to accompany me to make "a day of it".
    A great run in the '23 5 Speed, to arrive at 10 AM for the viewing. It wasn't on blocks and unfortunately a lot of rust was evident. On trying to open the boot, I noticed the whole of the hinge move. The part the hinge was screwed to, was completely rusted out.
    It is a 1951 Lt 15; very original but yes, badly rusted.
    I told the owner that I knew of someone that would be interested and I'd let her know but on returning home I got a phone call saying the sale was off, as her son had decided to restore the Traction. It's interesting that their are still cars hiding in old garages

Fellow Frogger

Are you looking for a project or a runner in what sort of general condition? It might help people point you in roughly the right direction. If you want a project and don't know what it's like to drive, see if you can drive something similar before embarking on a restoration of a car you may not like.

I would be looking for a solid car and making a condition / price valuation, but definitely no to minimal rust (currently rebuilding a very rusty 997 mini cooper) and a complete car. I have had the pleasure of driving a light 15. I assume a big 15 would be much the same.
    I use an Austin 1800 and 998 mini Cooper as daily drivers.

Cheers

Fellow Frogger!

I definitely encourage you to join CCOCA to find a Traction.
    Quite often the club knows what is for sale before the car goes on the open market.
    Also the condition of the vehicle is important - you are better off to spend more at the beginning to get the best base for restoration.
    See here www.citroenclassic.org.au
    Send an email to our Secretary, Sue Bryant - [email protected]

Big 15's are few and far between and mainly with the big boot ( post 1951 ) but ride nicely on the road due to the wider body.
    Good luck
    Ted Cross
    Hawk on here

Fellow Frogger

From what I've read, all of the Big 15's built at Slough were big boot cars. So, anything with a small boot would be a French Normale, not a UK car. Is that a fair assessment?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnSafari View Post
    I would be looking for a solid car and making a condition / price valuation, but definitely no to minimal rust (currently rebuilding a very rusty 997 mini cooper) and a complete car. I have had the pleasure of driving a light 15. I assume a big 15 would be much the same.
    I use an Austin 1800 and 998 mini Cooper as daily drivers.

Cheers
    There's not many tractions in Ballarat that I know of. I did hear about that one John looked at, I didn't go look at it though (you won't be tempted to buy if you don't look ). My father keeps telling me he's going to sell his ............ But I'm not going to let him There's a yellow one in town that gets out occasionally. keep your eyes peeled, it turns up at the occasional classic car club event. Who knows it's owner may want to sell

Have you found the Big 6 that sat for eons in a shed over in ballarat east ? Last I heard it was down a carey motors about a decade ago. I don't think the restoration ever started though, so it might be parked up again somewhere.

Do you drive your Austin much I don't think I've ever spotted it on the roads.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    There's not many tractions in Ballarat that I know of. I did hear about that one John looked at, I didn't go look at it though (you won't be tempted to buy if you don't look ). My father keeps telling me he's going to sell his ............ But I'm not going to let him There's a yellow one in town that gets out occasionally. keep your eyes peeled, it turns up at the occasional classic car club event. Who knows it's owner may want to sell

Have you found the Big 6 that sat for eons in a shed over in ballarat east ? Last I heard it was down a carey motors about a decade ago. I don't think the restoration ever started though, so it might be parked up again somewhere.

Do you drive your Austin much I don't think I've ever spotted it on the roads.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    The Austin gets out, though it's at broken hill currently. It's a white mk2 with super light wheels. You may see it at Nijams Road, Magpie when I visit my grandfather.

Cheers

I own a Big 6 and a normale. for me the big 6 is the car that I enjoy driving most out of the 2 of them. If you can see if you can get behind the wheel of one and go for a long run.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

You know, I had to google map that road I'd never spot the car over there. Were pretty much next to the magpie primary school. (yes, almost in suburbia .... [] ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Having driven both big 15 and light 15 I prefer the latter. Big 15's have to carry a lot more body weight in comparison to the L15's but share the same engine . Consequently they are less sprightly, can even be ponderous. If you want the wide bodied traction I would look for a big 6.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Quote Originally Posted by Trading Estate View Post
    Having driven both big 15 and light 15 I prefer the latter. Big 15's have to carry a lot more body weight in comparison to the L15's but share the same engine . Consequently they are less sprightly, can even be ponderous. If you want the wide bodied traction I would look for a big 6.
    If you think a Big 15 is ponderous try driving a Family 9/Familliale.
    If you can find one a nice small boot Normale is a delightfully comfortable cruiser. A little bit lighter than a big 15 but with the large body. The most sprightly one in the small body would be an 11Legere.
    Cheers Gerry

If you're really keen, have a look over in New Zealand and their ebay, trademe.co.nz - there you'll always find Light and Big 15s for sale in all kinds of condition. That's always an option, though CCOCA would be an excellent starting point. If you're like me and can't make it to the meetings, the magazine's always a great read.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Thread Information