C5 2.0 16v SX experiences
  • Register
  • Help

Default C5 2.0 16v SX experiences

Hi,
    I haven't read much about C5 2.0 16V 5-Speed Manual (Series 1.0) on the Aussiefrogs. Would that mean they give little trouble or is it that nobody got one?
    Does anybody got anything good or bad to say about the said configuration?
    Do they come with hydractive 3 or hydractive 3+ (ie. with std/sport mode button) suspension?

I am inclining towards getting one even I am a big fan of Hdi engines. I just have this bad feeling everytime AL4 changes the gear or climbing up a steep hill.
    I just read about C5 V6 problems that counts that one out for me.

Advertisement
    Last edited by kimmo; 19th October 2012 at 07:30 PM.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

UFO

There were not that many manuals sold in Australia. Once they heard that Shane might one day buy one (to avoid slugomatics) I think they turned the ships around - to borrow a phrase!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger

The only manual C5's on offer will be petrol 4 cylinder as series 1 hatch/wagons and facelifted hatches. I've never seen a facelifted manual wagon C5, but one may surface. Generally, these are OK, but will be prione to common C5 problems other than the AL4. Petrol 4 cylinders have their own set of potential problems - sometimes difficult cold start, failing lifters, cracked heatshield on the exhaust manifold, suspect emission air pump etc.. Overall, a manual is a better proposition than the AL4 cars and offers the same basic comfort and safety as the later, better specified cars. The earlier examples usually have velour trim, which can be an advantage over leather for those in warmer climes and without the need to clean up kiddie vomits etc.. Leather has that last point as a great advantage I'm reliably informed!

There are very few facelifted C5 manuals here because they were almost impossible to sell new and can also sit around as a used car for a very long time. The faceliefted manual I drove a few times was even OK in traffic, but always seems to have slight clutch shudder and the engine would rev a little faster than I liked after a change. I'm tld that's not uncommon, but it really isn't a problem, rather something to learn to live with. Very early cars do not have a motorised throttle, making them very much more like a Xantia and you don't tend to get the lag you often get with the autos and sometimes with later cars with the motorised throttle. Other than the very small number of people that know they exist and want one, nobody has ever been very interested in a manual C5 out here - period.

$6K will buy you a series 1 example and it should be a good one at that price or walk away. I doubt you would find a facelifted version for under $10K, but do look as there may well be someone prepared to let you steal it from them. Some later examples also have a sunroof. Overall, I quite like them and it would be an excellent car for a driver not routinely caught in heavy traffic.

Default Re: C5 2.0 16v SX experiences

Thanks,

It sounds like a lowest risk purchase of hydraulic Citroens to me. Now as I got a working Lexia it should not be too bad for diy maintenance.
    The clutch I understand is hydraulic and the gear change with cables. I liked that setup in xantia.

I have found exactly one for sale in QLD. We will go and have a look today. I don't have time to travel interstate.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Thread Information