Any Info on this Xm that is for sale
  • Register
  • Help

Default Any Info on this Xm that is for sale

I see this XM has been for sale for a while now, on various websites. Does anyone have the low down on its condition? Cheers.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gold-...ual/1007180614

Advertisement
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

I've seen this XM in Brisbane when a young'ish French bloke owned it. He was a CCCQ member back then.
    The XM certainly looked good but who knows about mechanical condition.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

It's extremely rare; 24V PRV with five speeder.

Fellow Frogger

Assuming it's the same car that's been for sale for many months in that general part of the world, it was a NSW car on plate OUI-123 and former adverts even used some photos with those plates. It was a cosmetically clean car when spotted in Sydney, but that says little about it's current condition. It's obviously a prvate import, so corrosion can be a larger issue than with local cars.

With XM appreciation sweeping through the forum at the moment, this car should sell by the end of the weekend.

All I know about this car is that the owner is a non-waver as I did zoom past this car on the GC in my ID over a month ago.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

UFO

IF it is the same car that used to be in Sydney, it has been in Australia for a long time - late 90s I reckon. Again, IF it is the same car, I recall that it showed no signs, when I last saw it, of UK type rust effects.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

It has luxury that you still don't get standard in cars today.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

hmmmmmm

who would be interested in a 12V auto XM (insert evil grin)
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Hmmm its quite a sum for a vehicle I know will have pricey component failures. How does the 24v prv compare to 12v in terms of reliabilty?
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt

UFO

Well the PRV V6 has a timing chain, not belt, so you are already in front.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I get what you're saying, however I would be worried that the prv is chain. Ive changed countless es9 belts. Is there a service interval or recommended service life on the chain/guides? Is corrosion of the block the same on the 24v as it is the rest of the prv family? What are Xm's like for towing (is 1400-1600kg braked too ambitious?) Im not worried about service/maintain/repair of an xm, but the strut top and sphere prices (and their limited service life) do bother me. Id love a quirky exotic Xm but Id say they are on the edge of no longer being a good daily mule. Sorry for the 20 questions!
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt

UFO

My 12v XM did about 195k km before the head gasket went and we changed the chain and guides at the time. The chain looked to be fine and one of the guides had a worn face and I think one retaining rivet broke as we took it off.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger

Early 24 Valve XM's are not common and I guess they are not bein used as a daily driver. The oil suply to the heads was a problem, but I'd always understod the cars now out there had been fixed by Citroen very early on. There are a few people here using 12 Valve XM's as a daily driver, but it's generally a case of needing to plan ahead a little instead of waiting for the breakdown. I've been down the Volvo PRV route in the past and had two dead engines in the family - block corrosion in a B27 and head gaskets in a B28. Timing chains were never a problem in those two Volvos and have not been an issue in XM's as far as I know. I think some early 2.7's did have timing chain problems, but that's well before XM days. Likewise, block corrosion is apparently not an XM problem, although a few cars have done head gaskets, perhaps more due to liner sink than other problems. My own XM has not had an issue with either the head gaskets or timing chains and it's been generally reliable in my period of ownership. I can say that was helped by some preventative replacements when I acquired it and I'm due for another round shortly. Some parts are expensive and/or now hard to find (i.e. strut tops, certain fitted cooling hoses ...), but a bit of planning and forethought would cut costs.

Ask Shane about towing as I know he did a bit with his XM TD, but I think the problem is the low ball weight.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The XM is an excellent tow vehicle. You need to ignore the tongue ratings, though the XM is 120kg from memory, so way more than the almost standard "70kg" rating on all European cars. XM's are heavy, plenty of weight in there @rse end and have self levelling hydraulics. In a passenger sedan I doubt you'd find a better tow car. as a tow car the 2.5TD manual would be best... it's would also be the biggest nightmare of a car to own IMO (the 2.5's are gruntier than the V6 petrols, but it sounds like they even run multiple radiators ... even the XM enthusiests tend to avoid them). The 2.1TD's with a manual gearbox are no doubt the pick of all XM's to own. XM's would be a lot safer to tow heavy loads with than the much lighter CX (the CX is very light in the @rse end). I've towed CX's on a car trailer behind the XM and it didn't worry it at all. I didn't travel any distance at speeds though ( a 2.1 diesel with a slugomatic gearbox isn't what you'd call a speedy vehicle for towing heavy loads). Legal tow rating is 1.5tons.... they'd easily pull far more than that.

If you want a fun car with plenty of poke, the V6 24valve manuals are one of the fastest vehicles Citroen has even made. 0-100km/h in about 7.5seconds.... Faster than citroen claim the CX petrol turbo is.

That car for sale would be brilliant, especially if you could throw away to crap poogoe low pressure steering rack and fit proper Citroen steering too it ............... and don't forget to dissable the god awful bouncy spring they put under the brake pedal

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

They tow really well. I put a towbar on mine (1990 V6 12v) and the mounting points were really solid. I have towed with it quite frequently, up to 1500kg or so on several occasions. If feels very comfortable with that weight. Their power is effortless rather than exhilarating. Nose weight is actually quite high, at 110kg, so not a problem at all. At one stage I had so much nose weight on it that the rear suspension would not rise, so I moved the load back a bit.

Roger

Some very indepth and informative replied! Shades of the old days on AF! I appreciate the rarity of the 24v + manual combo, but I dont know if I am comfortable spending that much on a 20 year old game of russian roulette. I am pleased to hear that it is a good towing platform, I desperately need a car for this. My other and initial choice is a z9 607, which while more expensive (could work out cheaper in the long run) is better suited to me mechanically. Decisions decisions.
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt

After long experience with dunnies, I can assure you that the chains last for ever, the handles fall off but who cares.
    Be a little bit extra careful braking if you have a tow bar fitted. I had an XM in the UK, now apparently still alive and well in Sydney. When I was looking for spares I found too many XMs with hardly worn parts that had been written off because the insured value was less than the cost of the repairs after a rear end shunt. With nothing in tow, the tow bar takes the force of a collision and bypassing the progressive crumple at the rear end, the boot floor folds up. The cost of straightening and replacing the sheet metal of the rear end structure makes it not worth repairing. The bumper has a moulded soft plastic insert behind it that takes care of light bumps at the rear but the tow bar looks right past that.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James504 View Post
    Some very indepth and informative replied! Shades of the old days on AF! I appreciate the rarity of the 24v + manual combo, but I dont know if I am comfortable spending that much on a 20 year old game of russian roulette. I am pleased to hear that it is a good towing platform, I desperately need a car for this. My other and initial choice is a z9 607, which while more expensive (could work out cheaper in the long run) is better suited to me mechanically. Decisions decisions.
    Drive them both.................. if the 607 rides anything like the 407 ................ You'll jump for the XM every time without fail. You only live once .... get something exciting to own .... Something that you'll love or passionately hate The 607 is a car for the wife, not something you'd choose for yourself

Honestly though, I'd only run an XM as a second car, if it's to be your only car that needs to be relied on to work each and every day .... get something else. If something breaks that stops it working (even if it's only a $20.00 part) if you need to wait 2weeks for the part........................................

I have no doubts, most other XM owners on here will have at least one other car .... likely a CX so they know they can get somewhere when it breaks

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information