2CV gathering at Centennial Park 1998 photos
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 2CV gathering at Centennial Park 1998 photos

Hi folks, I was just googling 2cvs as I do occasionally, and discovered a personal site or two with pictures of this large gathering back in 1998, organized by big Bad Bertie himself.

Advertisement

Bert, we should organise another one mate, no more newspaper ad's, heaps cheaper on the net!!

Does anyone have shots of those cars on that day? There were some beauties, and some crappy's like mine at the time. There must have been 30-40? Just guessing.

It would be great to see some pictures if possible, and I will try to get some on as well.

Chris Mortimer

JBN

I was there but have no photos. My best memory of the day was this long string of 2CVs travelling along a winding road, with all of the 2CVs in front of me at different angles, depending upon their position relative to the apex of the corner. Looked like a line of drunks on parade.

John

Quote Originally Posted by qmusic View Post
    Hi folks, I was just googling 2cvs as I do occasionally, and discovered a personal site or two with pictures of this large gathering back in 1998, organized by big Bad Bertie himself.

Bert, we should organise another one mate, no more newspaper ad's, heaps cheaper on the net!!

Does anyone have shots of those cars on that day? There were some beauties, and some crappy's like mine at the time. There must have been 30-40? Just guessing.

It would be great to see some pictures if possible, and I will try to get some on as well.

Chris Mortimer
    I thought only about 23 turned up, Chris. Still it was a nice day. I think today it could be a much better turn out. Anyway, you or JBN should do another one as I am not really that motivated even with 3 2CV's, but not one of them running!

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I was there but have no photos. My best memory of the day was this long string of 2CVs travelling along a winding road, with all of the 2CVs in front of me at different angles, depending upon their position relative to the apex of the corner. Looked like a line of drunks on parade.

John
    I think I was drunk.

Fellow Frogger!

John and Bert, I think we should do something. What about a 15th year reunion since Centennial Park? And, with a run attached.

Should we declare another union at Centennial Park, same place, for a date, nd if weather is no good, a check up on this site for a green light on the day? Should be easy. What about a run to say Palm Beach? Lots of club run days seem to end up there, and have seen everything to Yank metal, Italian stallion, to pumpin low Westie low rider Jap stuff loud naturally.

I think we should do it Bert and John. What do you think?

Can we get messages to people who own these cars?

Chris Mortimer

JBN

Yes. Sounds like a good idea. Chris, name a date and time to meet and a destination. I think the CCC of NSW would be a good place for starters to have it included as one of their events, with you as the contact/organiser. Then a separate thread in this forum.

Maybe starting a thread in this forum and getting expressions of interest for dates/timings/start and end places might be the best way to start before advertising the event in The Chevrons.

John

UFO

If CCCNSW members with historic rego cars wish to come, it would be best to have it listed as an official event. I know from experience that the committee always appreciates other members of the club organising an event.

The club BBQ might also be available.

I suggest that other models be invited but requested to stay at the back of the pack - as is the norm with all model specific events.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Craig, John and Bert, Thanks. I am up for it, as memories of the day were so positive, and just seeing those pics made me realise what a great day it was.

Bert, on your register, do you have emails of people? Also, how did you organise it last time - I can only remember a small contribution being made towards the cost of the ad, but if we use the internet, it should be free.

It would be great to meet in the morning early, say 9.30 - 10am on a Sunday, and run out to Palm Beach and do a BBQ as Craig suggests. I definitely agree that all should be invited, and remember the lovely black Traction being there owned by Tom.... and a lovely delta blue DS23.

I am not sure if we can just reserve a place up there at the park, or if the go is to just turn up.

It would be great to keep it relatively informal, and no big speeches unless we would like to have a presentation - Martin Forrester and another gent did at Seideler house recently, and it was great. Maybe a few short presentations on 2CV perhaps, around different variants.

It would also be good to tell people that are far away as well.

Bert, do you remember when you held the last one? And if it were in '98, that would make it 15 years since the last gathering.

Also, should we have a back up day if weather is looking threatening? And a second back up day perhaps?

Chris Mortimer

UFO

You may need to organise something with Centennial Park and certainly check that you do not clash with one of their car free days.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by qmusic View Post
    Craig, John and Bert, Thanks. I am up for it, as memories of the day were so positive, and just seeing those pics made me realise what a great day it was.

Bert, on your register, do you have emails of people? Also, how did you organise it last time - I can only remember a small contribution being made towards the cost of the ad, but if we use the internet, it should be free.

It would be great to meet in the morning early, say 9.30 - 10am on a Sunday, and run out to Palm Beach and do a BBQ as Craig suggests. I definitely agree that all should be invited, and remember the lovely black Traction being there owned by Tom.... and a lovely delta blue DS23.

I am not sure if we can just reserve a place up there at the park, or if the go is to just turn up.

It would be great to keep it relatively informal, and no big speeches unless we would like to have a presentation - Martin Forrester and another gent did at Seideler house recently, and it was great. Maybe a few short presentations on 2CV perhaps, around different variants.

It would also be good to tell people that are far away as well.

Bert, do you remember when you held the last one? And if it were in '98, that would make it 15 years since the last gathering.

Also, should we have a back up day if weather is looking threatening? And a second back up day perhaps?

Chris Mortimer
    Yes, I placed an ad in the SMH (no need for that now) I collected 3 dollars from each car that ended up at the destination and as some didn't go all the way i did not recoup all my money! When I took the back seat out of my 2CV I hit one door of the 2CV standing next to me and caused a small dent! ($150 bucks!) The run was also published in the NSW Cit, car club mag. I also knocked on a few doors of houses that I knew 2CV's where lurking. I have no email addresses. Since the 2CV register I started was only for early cars, all of the details of it are no good as none of them are running around in Sydney !

Thread Information