r19 auto problem
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

r19 auto problem

my r19 auto 117000 ks has commenced to play up on light throttle 1 and 2 gears os but 3 jerks a few times b4 smothing out also 4 needs 3500 revs to make ok change used tb 2500 now it goes in and out tween 2500 and 3500. it seems ok when driven hard .is it terminal? anybody done a successful manual conversion? quoted price for a recon trans around $3500 plus labour. suggestions welcome. what about solenoid replacement?

Advertisement

G'day noddy, welcome to the forum!

You'd probably get more responses to your question if you re-posted it in the "Renault Forum" under "Specific Car Club Forums & Announcements". This part of the forum is used for selling French cars.

Good luck with it!

Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

noddyr4:
    my r19 auto 117000 ks has commenced to play up on light throttle 1 and 2 gears os but 3 jerks a few times b4 smothing out also 4 needs 3500 revs to make ok change used tb 2500 now it goes in and out tween 2500 and 3500. it seems ok when driven hard .is it terminal? anybody done a successful manual conversion? quoted price for a recon trans around $3500 plus labour. suggestions welcome. what about solenoid replacement?
    Check the earth for the trans computer.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

You are lucky that you were quoted soo little

I had a 78 Virage Wagon in Auto with no reverse gear so after driving it for 12 months without reverse i decided to investigate the cause.

I must say that now i could be called knowledgable in Renault Automatic transmissions.

with my virage i was quoted $12,000 for a rebuild with no guarentee of success.

the problem turned out to be electrovalves located in the valve body a repair for under $50

G

I had a Renault 19 auto and the solonoid went it cost me AUD$1500 as the transmission stayed in the car thank god.
    Should not cost much more than that.They are aparently very dear to get repaired though. But once itys rebuilt it should be fine for years I guess. wink

hey harkon it is not a 25....
    the most comon prob is throttle potentimeter on throttle shaft, they just die..
    but you will need to have it connected to a xr 25 (reno computer) to set it...
    regards paul.

Fellow Frogger! dave from bendigo's Avatar
    I heard that the 19 auto trans and golf trans are the same and apparently you can buy a repair kit for around $600, I heard this after a chick who had one paid $5000 for a rebuild and then found out about it.
    "Some minds are like concrete...all mixed up and permanently set."

Before spending any money, ask a mechanic/electrician who really knows their Renaults, because with modern automatics, problems like you are describing can be caused by anything, from a loose wire to a serious mechanical problem. And in the case of French cars, electronic problems are far more common than mechanical failure. The mechanical engineering in Renaults is first class.

As depeche mode pointed out, the throttle position sensor (pontentiometer) is a very likely culprit by the sound of the symptoms you are describing. An automatic Mitsubishi Magna I owned a couple of years ago had very similar symptoms to what you are describing. If I had gone for the full transmission rebuild that was suggested by one mechanic, the problem would not have been solved, because a few weeks later I discoved that the real source of the problem was the throttle position sensor/potentiometer on the side of the carby. I was quoted $400 for a new one which is ridiculous for a part which would cost about $2 to produce, so I took my multimeter to the wreckers in search of a good one, which ended up costing $45 and fixed the problem myself.

I can give you a similar story regarding an automatic Renault 16TS which I purchased for a peppercorn price about 10 years ago because the owner thought the auto was stuffed and in need of a quoted $3500 rebuild. A refurbished electronic control unit fixed the problem at a cost of $70.

So get some VERY GOOD ADVICE before spending any money. Perhaps you should find out who the local service agent was for Renault when R19's were new. They might still have a mechanic trained and experienced in these cars of you are lucky.
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

depeche mode:
    hey harkon it is not a 25....
    the most comon prob is throttle potentimeter on throttle shaft, they just die..
    but you will need to have it connected to a xr 25 (reno computer) to set it...
    regards paul.
    true, but it is the "same" as the phase 2 R21, which had all sorts of dramas that were traced (enventually) to a dud trans computer earth.

noddyr4:
    Give manuel automatics in Thomastown, Melbourne, a ring and they may be able to help, and put you onto a qualified auto trans place in Adelaide (they pointed me to a place here in Perth that were very helpful)

Thread Information