Anyone in need of a *real* load mover ...
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Anyone in need of a *real* load mover ...

Hi Guys,

I've just been sent the link to this on ebay. Check it out, anyone that need to move big families or large loads take a look FAST!!! I've a feeling this is the car I saw at french connection about 10years ago (and they'd just spent $10,000 on. Am I right Dave??).

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2425155964&category=20 30" target="_blank">CX wagon</a>

Advertisement

What a bloody rippa, this is a guenuine 8seater (yes 8seats, there's 3 rows of seats in these things). We used a CX wagon as a family car for about 7years & it was brilliant! Who needs a POS 4wd when this will carry more poeple and have more space (and as a bonus it won't fall over around corners !).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

It's based in Melbourne, but gee it'd never win any prizes for beauty - looks as if it were a conversion.

The back end looks like it's from a hearse!!!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

That must go close to winning the ugliest thing on wheels contest. The front is fine but the back looks like it was penned by the same people who designed LandRover Discovery's dash boards.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

i miss my cx wagon

luckily, dads still got his, for when i need a change of pace

have to back up shane though, they are a great car.. put a bit of a load in the back, and they are very neutral handlers

i remember driving down from lamington national park to canungra (gold coast hinterland), with trailing throttle oversteer around most of the tighter bends

Yes Shane it's the same car, we just finished overhauling the power steering unit and regassed all the spheres. When we rebuilt it 10 years ago it looked and drove superb. We lost track of it and it's been in the wars, we "found" it again about 6 months ago, basically it's still as solid as it was, it's just got a few cosmetic battlescars. Its still an impressive vehicle, with the long wheelbase it rides much better than a sedan ever did.

David.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

C'mon Guys,

I won't listen to people picking on a CX wagon :p :p

These things are brilliant to drive. I remember being on holidays and going down mountains in my fathers having all the tires howling around corners (the only thing louder being my mother screaming to slow down roll_lau ).

I remember once heading home and Dad forgot the turn off to our house had been repaired and was gravel, the old CX was sideways for quite a bit around the corner, which felt to change to a 4wheel drift with a bit of opposite lock. Only Citroens can handle the abuse you throw at 'em.

As for ugly, how can anyone that likes modern bland cars, or shitful 4wds of any sort (well ok early landy's might be an exception) call a CX ugly. What could be more ugly than 3tonnes of chassis with a ugly boxy tank plonked on top roll_lau roll_lau dance

Hey I like D's and CX's, so my opinion of ugly is probably a lot different to everyone elses tongue

So c'mon guys, any interest here?? I'd love to see this thing head down my way so I could spot it on the roads occasionly (no I don't need it, what the hell would I do with another car, though at $1750 I'd be sorely tempted).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

They sure are ugly as sin. I think Opron must have designed it on a Friday afternoon after a crate of Claret down the ole cakehole.

Practically speaking, I know they can sure haul a lot of stuff to the tip if need be, if the c-matic will get you there dead I'm Kidding!

I can put a full drum kit in the boot of a GS sedan and I'm happy enough with that. cheers!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger!
    Hi David, (and others who wish to comment)
    my daughter who works in South Korea, is planning to settle back in Australia later this year and spotted this wagon.
    I'm a fairly recent convert to citroen (BX16V)after years of Peugeot enjoyment.
    I may have raved a bit too much about Citroen, because she now really wants this wagon.
    I believe you know this vehicle fairly well and therefore may be able to give some realistic comments. Also maybe an indication for what is a fair price? If you don't want to make such comments on this board, please email me on
    sheds at netspeed.com.au (you know the [email protected])
    Your valuable remarks would be much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Wouter

Hi Wouter,

go for it!! Unlike the DS, CX's DO NOT hide there rust to any great extent. Checks are simple: Stand at the rear of the car, if the arms appear to tilt in, the rear arm bearings need doing (easy DIY, however this being a wagon, the arms will probably be ok as the bearings are bigger).

-Jack each side of the front up in turn (with car at normal ride height), get someone to stand on the brakes, then try to turn the wheel forward, then backwards. Slack found means the lower suspension arm bushes need replacing.
    -Try to lift the wheel up, slack found means top ball joints need replacing.
    -Try to turn the steering wheel with the road wheel (it will not be possible). Slack found here will be the steering knuckle. This will show as the car will torque steer.

These are all VERY EASY DIY jobs, however there worth knowing before purchase.

C-matics?? I always pick on 'em. But in reality they are extremely strong, change the fluid often enough so it doesn't turn black & you'll be right. There's rarely problems with the gearbox, it's usualy poeple don't know how to diagnose them.

Go on !! Mail the guy and take it for a test drive. If you have never driven a CX before take a spare pair of undies to change into --For after the first time your try to stop & change direction. Don't worry once your used to the brakes and daravi steering you'll be converted forever. NOTHING drives quite like a CX wink Like I said, if I needed a load mover, this sucker would already be parked in my shed (that would take my CX count to 6 !).

1 CX GTi Turbo
    1 CX2400 pallas 5spd
    1 CX2400 pallas C-matic
    2 CX2000 4spd pallas
    and then the wagon

Just watch it though, as once you've driven/owned one the buggers seem to breed whenever your not looking roll_lau roll_lau

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

sjl
    I seem to remember the French using them as ambulances when I lived there. Could be wrong though.

U-G-L-Y You ain't got no alibi..you ugly!
    "How do you like them apples?"
    306 Gti6

Im sure it drives well but it reminds me of ones of those family space craft vehicles from the cartoon the Jetsons.

I have started to be attracted to the CX I thought about buying one but wanted the full automatic box and couldnt find one. I checked out the net and found on some obscure dutch or neds site a buyers guide but it looks pretty good to me.
    The wagons are pretty rare though from my limited knowledge. There was another blue one at the sydney FCD and it looked ok also.
    The steering is a bit weird on them though the wheel moves by itself back to the forward facing position so i found out from a guy who took me for a ride in one. Shane i guess if he owns so many would be the best person to ask about them.
    In france they still use them as ambulances i think as well as the new Renault Master and the Citroen Jumper I think. "(got to get back there soon for gods sake)" 2_cents

Fellow Frogger!
    Hi again,
    Shane L, thanks for that enthousiasm, now it will really be impossible to talk my daughter and "inlawson" out of this, although after talking to the owner this morning, I have a suspicion that my daughter won't be able to reach the reserve price, phew! dance
    may be someone can talk her into the reverend's car instead?
    Funny, when talking to various "knowledgeable" people, this warning of addiction keeps coming back.
    Thanks again for the wise(?) words.
    Wouter

'scuse me...

Why do so many call this ugly?

Ray Bell:
    'scuse me...

That's what I keep wondering, It's a great looking vehicle, it looks and drives more like a high speed bullet train rather then a motor car. The CX sedan is a great looking and driving car but it's got nothing on the wagon.
    I could write a list of worlds most ugliest cars and CX wagons wouldn't be one of them.

David.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Ray Bell:
    'scuse me...

Ray,I hope they write in jest, if not they've got their heads so far up their prevervial oriffices all they see is their own breakfast. he he

Seriously, those pics and in fact many pics of the CX wagon don't do them justice, they really are an elegant beast in the flesh, look abolutely superb on the road. Challenging yes, ugly noooo... there is a series 2 wagon in imaculate black that I see from time to time in town 'stunning'. They look so spacey gliding through traffic, for a design that is 20 odd years old now, they stand up remarkably well.

Ah well to each his own I guess...

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Ray Bell:
    'scuse me...

Dunno. I always thought that the CX was the best looking car Citroen ever made, and the estate is no different.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

Ray Bell:
    'scuse me...

The CX sedan I think looks great, but judging solely by those photos, the wagon looks, um... a bit urghhh....

The rear doesn't look properly proportioned to the sleekness of the front. The giant rear window doesn't match the other windows as it is rounded off in the corners and surrounded by black rubber. The wiper looks a bit too obvious, and the raised roof line doesn't help either. The rear just looks bulky.

I think the blue/grey colour tends to exacerbate the "ugliness", seeing that the photos don't show up the gloss of the paintwork, making it seem matt and weatherbeaten.

It may be practical, but it sure ain't pretty! roll_lau

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Jez 405:
    Ray Bell:
    'scuse me...

Dunno. I always thought that the CX was the best looking car Citroen ever made, and the estate is no different.
    You mean it's not the BX

I can't help but think what was going on in the designer's mind when he penned that design. Did someone issue him a challenge, "Oi, go and out box a Volvo"

I guess you could say the CX looks very, err, individual

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Hmm,

who's ebay user 'renaultgordini', betcha it's Dave Cavanagh, there's a guy that knows a bargain when he see's one. I could see a CX wagon with 'FRENCH CONNECTION' stickers down the side of it being used as a work car roll_lau roll_lau
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!
    isabelleoscar is the winning bidder at $3550.=
    who is she/he?

Pug307:
    Jez 405:
    Ray Bell:
    'scuse me...

You mean it's not the BX

I can't help but think what was going on in the designer's mind when he penned that design. Did someone issue him a challenge, "Oi, go and out box a Volvo"

I guess you could say the CX looks very, err, individual
    I think Bertone' designed the BX; the CX was a combination of Pininfarina & Opron but from memory, the Vlovlo was the brainchild of "Julius Marlow" wasn't it? roll_lau roll_lau dance

Alan S mallet
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Bertone designed the BX.

Hahah, maybe they had a hangover from designing the Volvo 262C. Perhaps the BX inspired the 780

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

nJm
    Does the CX estate have a much greater load capacity than a 505 estate? I always thought the 505 GTi wagons were nice and big, and quite stylish too .

<small>[ 03 August 2003, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Pug307:
    Bertone designed the BX.

Hahah, maybe they had a hangover from designing the Volvo 262C. Perhaps the BX inspired the 780
    Still haven't put Julius Marlow to bed. I didn't think anything inspired Vlovlos possibly due to them not inspiring anything (your good self excluded of course) :p :p

Alan S whistle
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information