504 Ti for sale
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 504 Ti for sale

504 Ti for sale

504 Ti, 1974, reconditioned head Jan 2003, drives well, 6" alloy wheels and OK tyres (2 Michelins), white paint with grey comfy late model velour seats. Only reason for selling is to make space (and help pay) for a 406 STDT wagon. $1,200 o.n.o. Ph Adam Gerrand, Ph (02) 6241 0701 (home)

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!
    Adam how are you? couple of questions auto or manual, what type & how much rego? regards, cane toad

ACT or NSW rego is a relevant question as well...

Cane toad, if you're asking what type of transmission, it will be a BA7/4 if manual or a Borg Warner 35 if auto.

Or do you mean 'what type' of wheels?

Fellow Frogger!
    The six inch alloy wheels, are they the ones that require expensive tyres? NSW rego and manual gearbox please. regards, cane toad

cane toad:
    The six inch alloy wheels, are they the ones that require expensive tyres?
    I doubt it, they're 135 or 150mm, unless you call 150mm 6"

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

The 504Ti is a manual. ACT rego until Jan 2004. The wheels are Cheviot 14 inch x 6 inches wide (I think standard 504 rims were 5 1/2 inches wide). They can take standard 14" tyres - and do not need the expensive TRX tyres which were a special diameter of 390mm (close to 15 inches).

Standard rims for 604 were 5.5"... not 504. 6" is a good size for an upgrade.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    i take it it's an original 74 TI
    do you know what date is cast on the intake log out of curiosity ?
    for those that don't know the early TI engines were a better engine as standard than the later ones so if you are after a TI go for something like this car even though the later bodies are a little nicer the engines in the early ones are sweeter
    peugeot seem to do this sometimes
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

pugrambo:
    Whats an intake log?
    Inlet manifold??
    Or is it like Star Trek - "captains log stardate 2043"??

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    ipb205:
    pugrambo:
    Whats an intake log?
    Inlet manifold??
    Or is it like Star Trek - "captains log stardate 2043"??
    the intake log is the part that has the throttle body on the end of it and connects to the inlet manifold
    so called as it looks like a log with branches coming off it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

...and it will have, probably in the case of a 1974 car, '73' cast into it... right at the top, and near some other numbers and/or letters.

pugrambo:

for those that don't know the early TI engines were a better engine as standard than the later ones so if you are after a TI go for something like this car even though the later bodies are a little nicer the engines in the early ones are sweeter
    That's mainly because the camshaft timing was retarded on the later ones. It's a simple matter of changing the cam sprocket.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Originally posted by davemcbean
    <strong>That's mainly because the camshaft timing was retarded on the later ones. It's a simple matter of changing the cam sprocket.
    Pray, tell me more...

How do you tell them apart?

Ray Bell:
    Originally posted by davemcbean
    <strong>That's mainly because the camshaft timing was retarded on the later ones. It's a simple matter of changing the cam sprocket.
    How do you tell them apart?
    As far as I know there is no easy way to tell them apart. Every cam sprocket is matched to its respective camshaft and they're all slightly different, so it's just a matter of sticking a dial indicator on number 1 cam follower and trying various sprockets until you find the one which gives the most lift at TDC. If your head has been shaved, you might run into valve clearance problems if you run too much lift at TDC, though. I found with 1mm shave off the head, 8.1:1 pistons and 0.039" of lift at TDC my valves were just nicking the pistons sometimes, but it depends on how far your valves and seats have been recut over the years, etc.

Con Engel's 504 is running the same cam as I was, with 0.039" at TDC and his head has 1.5mm shaved off and he is using the 8.35:1 pistons (which are 1mm taller than mine) and his valves are clearing OK.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

And what about rod stretch?

So there's no way to be sure of what you're doing then, without a dial gauge etc. Even then, we're not checking the timing, rather the lift at just one point.

Ray Bell:
    And what about rod stretch?

So there's no way to be sure of what you're doing then, without a dial gauge etc. Even then, we're not checking the timing, rather the lift at just one point.
    Yeah that's about the only way to do it using what little information I have.

Conrod stretch could certainly explain some things.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

'Rod stretch' is a term used by engine heads in the racing business...

This is when all the piston is pulled up at the top of the stroke, it tends to close the gaps where there should be oil between things. Like between the crank and the bearing shell, and the piston and rod and the gudgeon pin.

Ray Bell:
    'Rod stretch' is a term used by engine heads in the racing business...

This is when all the piston is pulled up at the top of the stroke, it tends to close the gaps where there should be oil between things. Like between the crank and the bearing shell, and the piston and rod and the gudgeon pin.
    Sorry, I thought you were refering to the elastic lengthing of the conrod at the top of the stroke due to the tensile load.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

pugrambo:
    peugeot seem to do this sometimes
    Pugrambo,
    Yep, as far as I know its an original 504Ti - chassis says 7-74 but the intake log as you call it is labelled: 2FS 9-73 K-2
    I don't know about the cams - or even if this one has the original engine. However, I do know that it goes OK now after head rebuild and resetting the injection, much better than the carby ones, and very similar to a 1973 Ti I had in Hobart about 5 years ago (would have liked to get that one back after coming back from overseas), but this one has been a good little project and still enjoyable to drive. I'm tempted to keep it now the 405SRDT appears to be sold.
    - Adam
    PS Its still for sale, if you've read this far you may be interested.....

9-73 is in keeping with a compliance plate for 7-74... that would be original log, and if the chassis number is the same as the engine number you can be sure it's the original block.

Seeing as you've had everything else done up, it doesn't really matter.

Why not keep it then, for those days you get sick of driving FWD. Or when the little car's in for a service?

It'll be eligible for club rego next year... now there's a thought!

Default Took a while but first to drive bought it...

Quote Originally Posted by adam_405
    504 Ti, 1974, reconditioned head Jan 2003, drives well, 6" alloy wheels and OK tyres (2 Michelins), white paint with grey comfy late model velour seats. Only reason for selling is to make space (and help pay) for a 406 STDT wagon. $1,200 o.n.o. Ph Adam Gerrand, Ph (02) 6241 0701 (home)
    This thread has been quiet a while and the ol' 504 has been purring along all the time in regular use. Apologies to anyone I may have been less than enthusiastic about looking as I actually haven't been all that keen to let it go. No apologies to the few who phoned but never showed up. Finally someone came and took it for a drive and offered to buy it on the spot. SOLD.

This few months have been my first real foray into Aussie Frogs and its been enjoyable and worthwhile - thanks for your interest.
    - Adam (was Adam_405 and then should have been 504Ti, and now perhaps should change again to 406.....nah...maybe I'll just have to find me a 405Mi16 to suit the username, like moving where the weather suits my clothes).

Thread Information