Tadpole

Default FS 1991 Series III 205GTi Sydney $3900

1991 (Series III)
    180,000 km
    Sorrento Green
    Registration Number XRN 389 (NSW)
    Registered September 2005
    Price: $3,900 (firm).

This is a Series III 205 that has started to deteriorate, and hence the price. It has been a reliable car for the four years that Iíve owned it, but it has done 180,000 km and is getting rather tired (details below). Iíve had three 205s over the last 15 years, but Iíve brought a 306, and thus need to sell the 205.

Engine: Iíve done about 40,000 km in the car without any reliability problems apart from a broken clutch cable soon after I brought it. However, it uses a lot of oil Ė and always has. This was not visually apparent when I brought the car, and the last owner neglected to tell me about it. Iíd estimate the oil consumption to be about 1 litre per 1000 km; it now also blows some smoke on the over-run, but itís not too bad. Iíve got a brief video of this for anyone who wants to have a look. Minor oil leaks also seem to come and go, and it can be a bit temperamental on frosty mornings if you donít let it warm up for a minute or two. The timing belt is due now, and the wiper blades need replacement. The engine mounts were replaced about 10,000 km ago, and the car recently has been tuned and serviced (apart from the timing belt). The exhaust system from the cat back is not genuine, and it is loud enough to irritate on long trips.

Transmission: the gearbox or gear linkage is also rather tired, and you have to be careful not to rush the 2-3 and 3-4 up-changes to avoid crunching. Thereís no problems down-changing. The gearbox was fine until a heavy box I stupidly put on the front seat slid on to the gearlever during an emergency braking episode, so perhaps the problem is linkage related. Again, I can provide a short video of the car being taken through the gears. Iíve found that if you push the lever to the right side of the gate, or alternately pause in neutral for a bit, you can change up without any problems. Strangely, the gearbox seems to work better when the car is cold.

Suspension: The car tracks straight and has even tire wear. One of the front strut mounting bolts has snapped. I can honestly say it handles better than both the Series II cars Iíve owned: itís less tail-happy in the wet, almost completely neutral. I also love the power steering, which seems to me just as direct as the non-assisted 205s. The tyres are cheap Sava Intensa 195/50/15s, but Iíve found them to be really quite good in both wet and dry conditions.

Body: the car evidently has had a repair to the rear of the roof prior to my ownership, and the paint is starting to bubble in two spots. The previous owner professed ignorance when I queried her on this, and I donít know the extent of this repair apart from the visual signs of what appear to be sanding marks in filler near the hatch. The usual 205 paint cracks just above the rear of the doors are present on both sides, but Iíve seen worse examples. The body has a number of small dings and stone chips, some of which are visible in the pictures I have (email me if you want them). I havenít had any accidents, but the front bumper is a bit loose and slightly askew, possibly from a parking altercation while I was away from the car.

Advertisement

Interior: The instrument binnacle and heater console have a few cracks, but generally the dash is still in one piece. It creaks and rattles like they do, particularly on hot days. On frosty mornings the speedo cable can also be noisy. The driverís seat has sagged a little, and the bolster next to the door is worn. I think the sagging seat is one of the reasons why the driverís door never seems to shut properly, but this is a problem thatís afflicted all the 205s Iíve owned. The Eurovox cassette player doesnít work. The radio does, but the FM reception is terrible: perhaps the aerial lead has fallen out of the head unit? The air-conditioning worked until last summer, but now needs to be serviced and/or re-gassed.

History: it has a Peugeot dealer/agent history that is partially complete up until when I brought it (140,000km). From memory, I think that the 50,000 and 60,000 km service stamps are missing in the log book; otherwise itís got the dealer stamps (but no receipts from previous owners). There isnít any Peugeot dealer within 100km of where I live (Armidale), and Iíve had it serviced locally at various places (Iíve got copies of nearly all my receipts). Iím not sure how many owners it has had, but itís at least four (including myself).

The car is at my parentsí place in Sydney. If you want to have a look email me and Iíll give you my fatherís number to arrange an inspection. I can also email pictures/videos of the stuff that Iíve mentioned in this post.

Cheers
    Andrew Messner
    andrew.messner@gmail.com

Tadpole

Default Trying to upload some pictures

I'm trying to upload some pictures, but not sure if it will work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FS 1991 Series III 205GTi Sydney 00-dscn0389.jpg   FS 1991 Series III 205GTi Sydney 00-dscn0400.jpg   FS 1991 Series III 205GTi Sydney 00-dscn0405.jpg  

Wow! good job with your ad Andrew

All the best with your sale

Tadpole

Default Car sold

The car has been sold. Thanks.

Thread Information