403B Sedan 1959
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 403B Sedan 1959

Tadpole

Default 403B Sedan 1959

A great 403, just out of Reg, March '04, runs and drives very well.
    New Battery, good tyres, this is a good cheap base for restoration.
    it is a sound 3 owner car, it was painted in 1982, but apart from that it is
    original. carpet, seats, tools, service manuals etc. Roof Rack!
    I wold prefer to sell it to someone who will use it properly, otherwise
    it will end up as a 'Paddock bomb' which would be a shame.
    It is located in North West Victoria and cheap at $600.00

Steve.
    0418 515 468

Advertisement

It would be a real tragedy to paddock bash such a good car...

Hope you find a taker on it.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Vallance

Steve.
    0418 515 468

you sure it's a B model ?

B models came out in '61
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Of course its a B model if he says so. All 03's were B models.......beautiful, ballsy, bitches and bloody good.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Vallance

Steve.
    0418 515 468
    I'll be coming through on the long weekend (Monday) in June. I'll give you a call before then.

Graham Wallis

If asked when the 'B' model came out, I would have said late 1959...

That was when, IIRC, the C3 box and 4.2 diff was fitted to them. Wasn't that the point of delineation?

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    If asked when the 'B' model came out, I would have said late 1959...

That was when, IIRC, the C3 box and 4.2 diff was fitted to them. Wasn't that the point of delineation?
    The B came out in 1961 in Australia. Yes, it had the 404 transmission and the heater mounted inside the cabin, plus the side trims without the kink on the rear door.
    The Ouyen car is a 1958 model, I looked at it in Ballarat a couple of years back.
    This is the model with the trim going diagonally across the rear door.
    As I remember it the car was particularly 1950s in its colour scheme. a bit different to your usual 403.

Graham Wallis

Ah yes, the heater inside the cabin... when did that start?

The C3 box, 4.2 diff and telescopic rear shocks definitely started before 1961, 1959 is my recollection...

VIP Sponsor

Ah yes, the heater inside the cabin... when did that start?

The C3 box, 4.2 diff and telescopic rear shocks definitely started before 1961, 1959 is my recollection...
    The 1959 model had lever shocks, C2 transmission, exterior heater and zig zag trim on rear door.
    The 1960 model was the same except for stainless steel door handles, telescopic rear shockers and fine spline axles.
    The 1961 model had the interior heater, straight line trim on rear doors and the C3 transmission (from the 404). It also had smooth vinyl on the seats as compared to the "kitchen chair" trim on the 59 and 60 models.

Graham Wallis

Sorry Graham, I will dispute that...

There was never fine spline axles into a 5.75:1 diff... so there was never fine spline axles with a C2 box as standard. So what I say stands... late 1959 (and all of 1960, therefore) had the C3 box and 4.2:1 diff.

VIP Sponsor

Sorry Graham, I will dispute that...

There was never fine spline axles into a 5.75:1 diff... so there was never fine spline axles with a C2 box as standard. So what I say stands... late 1959 (and all of 1960, therefore) had the C3 box and 4.2:1 diff.

Ok we are at loggerheads here, can we have a third opinion please!!
    I have owned or pulled apart many of the cars whose existance is in question.
    Graham

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Ok we are at loggerheads here, can we have a third opinion please!!
    I have owned or pulled apart many of the cars whose existance is in question.
    Graham

I have checked the parts book and after engine number 2369796 the COMPLETE diff with part number 3101.42 was fitted, this was stated as having 23 teeth (4 by 23 = 5.75)
    Elsewhere on the page the fine spline sun gears (part number 3114.13 are also listed as starting from engine number 2369796 so it was these sun gears which were fitted to the diff with number 3101.42.
    Sorry to be so pedantic Ray, but I have a 1960 model in my shed at present, so I know that they exist!
    Incidentally this is a good sound car with all rust removed professionally. It needs paint and some reassembly but would make a great restoration project for someone. Motor runs well.

Graham Wallis

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    I have checked the parts book and after engine number 2369796 the COMPLETE diff with part number 3101.42 was fitted, this was stated as having 23 teeth (4 by 23 = 5.75)
    Elsewhere on the page the fine spline sun gears (part number 3114.13 are also listed as starting from engine number 2369796 so it was these sun gears which were fitted to the diff with number 3101.42.
    Sorry to be so pedantic Ray, but I have a 1960 model in my shed at present, so I know that they exist!
    Incidentally this is a good sound car with all rust removed professionally. It needs paint and some reassembly but would make a great restoration project for someone. Motor runs well.

Graham Wallis
    that all goes with what i have been taught and learned over the years

still stands that the B model came out in 61 and the 60 model is just that, a 60 model

59 also saw the change from the lion on the bonnet to the smooth chrome strip and they introduced (overseas not here ) the thermostatic fan on the water pump

also i think but i could be wrong but genuine 60 models had the parking lights in the guards where as the B model didn't

these were also re-introduced in the 404 but were last seen on them in around 64
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    that all goes with what i have been taught and learned over the years

still stands that the B model came out in 61 and the 60 model is just that, a 60 model

59 also saw the change from the lion on the bonnet to the smooth chrome strip and they introduced (overseas not here ) the thermostatic fan on the water pump

also i think but i could be wrong but genuine 60 models had the parking lights in the guards where as the B model didn't

these were also re-introduced in the 404 but were last seen on them in around 64

My 1962 403b has these lights. If any 404 doesn't have them it would be the 1970 model. I just checked my rally car (1968 model) and it has them.

Graham Wallis

Originally posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Wow... you learn something new every day!

Now, 'rambo will agree with this... old Jack Nelson was an expert of the first order. He knew these things inside out, and I'm sure he told me that if I had fine splines in my 403, then I had the 4.2 diff.

I bow to your superior knowledge, Graham... and I hope that one day I find a fine splined 5.75:1 diff somewhere...

Thread Information