Wanted-Renault Virage or 1.4 wagon, manual.
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Member Jack Daniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    102

    Icon10 Wanted-Renault Virage or 1.4 wagon, manual.

    Wanted-Renault Virage or 1.4 wagon, manual.

    Must be roadworthy and not total shit. I don’t mind doing a fair bit of work to get it up to scratch, but it must be all there and drivable – not necessarily rego’d though, and not pranged.

    The expanding family and dogs mean I need the wagon (but I will consider a good sedan with towbar)

    Please let me know if you have one you wish to part with

    Shane
    [email protected]
    Mobile: 041 360 9258

    In recent years I have been guilty of straying from the faith with a Rover, A Range Rover and an Alfa Romeo. I have now seen the light and want to be reindoctrinated.

    My past Renaults have been:

    ·R12GL wagon, light green, manual (sold for the 16)

    Advertisement


    ·R16TS Special, silver, manual, with fabric sunroof (written of by my brother)

    ·R17Gordini, White – private import from UK (Sold to a young guy in Adelaide and regretted since – does anyone know this car? – I wouldn’t mind it back) I spent shit loads of $ on this toy, inc a rebuilt engine, gearbox, clutch, brakes and new hatch.
    (whoops – there was a Fiat X1/9 in this period too.)

    ·R16TS Trak Yellow (read orange). Was my Fathers car since new in 1976. It was still in almost perfect condition, with only a minor rust patch on the left rear tail light caused by a parking incident. Unfortunatly while driving it in 2002, some idiot in a Camry decided the STOP sign didn’t apply to her. Front left guard and grill/lights took the impact. Dad gave it to a guy in Adelaide with a whole heap of spares, who rebuilt it. I have seen it once since and it looks pretty good. Was in a feature in The Advertiser recently and still has original rego (SXA-076). Didn’t like the blacked chrome though. If the guy who bought it gives me a ring, I can give him a couple of pictures of the car just after Dad first bought it

    ·R18 wagon, white, manual (T/In on the 20)

    ·R20 Series 2, dark green, manual (sold as the trim/plastic/dash was shit and I couldn’t get the trim parts)
    Last edited by Jack Daniel; 6th May 2004 at 11:13 AM.

  2. #2
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,162

    Default

    Check out the Advertiser or Trading Post on line currently. There was a good orange Virage (unfortunately for you a sedan) for $800 with three months rego in Prospect. I've seen the car in the past, and apart from the usual 12 rust in the back doors the car appears in nice condition with a seeming caring owner. I only know the owner from him coincidently parking next to my car at the shopping centre. It has 17G rims as well.

    Your 17G when did you own that car? I first saw an all white 17G back in 1986 at an RCC meeting, white hubcaps (on the original 17G rims), body kit. The owner had paid out heaps at the time on the car to fix up all the previous problems with a corroded block etc. It had original maroon vinyl trim and pop up glass sunroof. Later purchased for about $1200 following a marital split (or similar) by a chap called James in 1992ish. The car was sold again, last I heard of it (about 3-4 years ago) the car was in Sydney with a blown 5 speed. That car, initially thought to be a private import turned out to be AUS spec, just the compliance plate had gone missing in a previous smash some time in its very early life.

  3. #3
    Member Jack Daniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Check out the Advertiser or Trading Post on line currently. There was a good orange Virage (unfortunately for you a sedan) for $800 with three months rego in Prospect. I've seen the car in the past, and apart from the usual 12 rust in the back doors the car appears in nice condition with a seeming caring owner. I only know the owner from him coincidently parking next to my car at the shopping centre. It has 17G rims as well.

    Your 17G when did you own that car? I first saw an all white 17G back in 1986 at an RCC meeting, white hubcaps (on the original 17G rims), body kit. The owner had paid out heaps at the time on the car to fix up all the previous problems with a corroded block etc. It had original maroon vinyl trim and pop up glass sunroof. Later purchased for about $1200 following a marital split (or similar) by a chap called James in 1992ish. The car was sold again, last I heard of it (about 3-4 years ago) the car was in Sydney with a blown 5 speed. That car, initially thought to be a private import turned out to be AUS spec, just the compliance plate had gone missing in a previous smash some time in its very early life.
    Thanks Simon,

    Yep, thats my car. Bloody ex-wives, they do that to you.

    I was that guy at the RCC meeting. White hubcaps were only a trial, as I was looking for Gotti alloys. Got rid of them a week or so later, cause they really didnt look all that good.

    I'm pretty sure that it was a UK import, because it had a UK dealers sticker on the rear window, and one of the documents that was in the glovebox, was from the UK as well. Could be someone stuck them on/in, but it seemed like a lot of trouble to go to, for no real gain.

    The engine was rebuilt using TX piston liner kit, head shaved, and there was a brass plug installed in the plock where it had corroded around a head bolt hole. Lots of time and $ went into it, but we all seem to have that disease.

    I'm pretty sure I still have a picture somewhere, so I'll dig it up and put it in the gallery - Dads R16TS as well.

    Sounds like in its current condition, its a money pit again. I would have liked to get it back restored - but,"shit happens"

    Thanks for the tip on the Virage, but I really do need a wagon.

    Jack
    Last edited by Jack Daniel; 7th May 2004 at 10:05 AM.

  4. #4
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniel
    Thanks Simon,

    Yep, thats my car. Bloody ex-wives, they do that to you.

    I was that guy at the RCC meeting. White hubcaps were only a trial, as I was looking for Gotti alloys. Got rid of them a week or so later, cause they really didnt look all that good.

    I'm pretty sure that it was a UK import, because it had a UK dealers sticker on the rear window, and one of the documents that was in the glovebox, was from the UK as well. Could be someone stuck them on/in, but it seemed like a lot of trouble to go to, for no real gain.

    The engine was rebuilt using TX piston liner kit, head shaved, and there was a brass plug installed in the plock where it had corroded around a head bolt hole. Lots of time and $ went into it, but we all seem to have that disease.

    I'm pretty sure I still have a picture somewhere, so I'll dig it up and put it in the gallery - Dads R16TS as well.

    Sounds like in its current condition, its a money pit again. I would have liked to get it back restored - but,"shit happens"

    Thanks for the tip on the Virage, but I really do need a wagon.

    Jack
    Perhaps it was a European delivery 17G? The reason I say is that James had a prang (bonnet/grille/bumper), the car was declared a write off and had to go through Regency for an inspection after the rebuild. They bounced the car on the basis that it had no compliance plate and was not matching to what they had in their books, a 17G with injection etc, they only had 17TL in their documentation, even though it had previous SA rego. They were going to demand an engineers certificate and got heavy over the exhaust and sports steering wheel. James got a letter from Volvo (then Renault distributors) who declared that the car was build to the ADR's of the time and was built for Australian sale. In know that there was another AUS spec 17G in Canberra that was also delivered in France originally, so there would probably be more than one.

    Sorry about the sedan, but I do have a spare 12 sedan towbar somewhere if that would help. I just have to find where it is!

  5. #5
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    perth
    Posts
    8

    Default

    i have sent you a PM regarding the 205 in perth,just checking you recieved

  6. #6
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default

    This any interest?

    Off Autotrader.

    "RENAULT 12, 1975, S/wagon, track yellow, 4spd man, VGC, family owned, 185,000kms, new tyres, RWC, FUW755, $2,000only, (03) 96500725, (0409)023065, East Melbourne. "

    Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

  7. #7
    Member Jack Daniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    This any interest?

    Off Autotrader.

    "RENAULT 12, 1975, S/wagon, track yellow, 4spd man, VGC, family owned, 185,000kms, new tyres, RWC, FUW755, $2,000only, (03) 96500725, (0409)023065, East Melbourne. "

    Alan S
    Alan,
    Sounds like an OK car, but WAY OVERPRICED.
    I think I'll just keep looking.
    Thanks anyway.
    Shane

  8. #8
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniel
    Alan,
    Sounds like an OK car, but WAY OVERPRICED.
    I think I'll just keep looking.
    Thanks anyway.
    Shane
    Wait a week & make an offer.
    There's a couple more there but they sound like the original "suitable for restoration or parts" vatiety....but they're cheap.

    Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •