• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PLB-389

Thread: F/S 1961 Renault Dauphine

Tadpole

Default F/S 1961 Renault Dauphine

Hi Everyone,

First off, apologies for being one of those guys that just logs in to sell a car. I doubt many here would remember me anymore. I was an active member for a number of years before a server crash deleted my account. By that stage I didn't drive french cars anymore and only had one, in storage. That car is now up for sale.

I purchased my Dauphine from a Western Australian member on here, probably around 8 years ago or so. It was an older restoration in need of minor cosmetic attention and a fair amount of mechanical attention. I intended on completing a mechanical restoration and giving the car to my dad as a present - his first car was a Dauphine which he loved. Unfortunately, life got in the way, and now dad has dementia and can obviously no longer drive. I also no longer have the capacity to restore the car anymore.

Advertisement

The car has been stored undercover ever since I bought it and very little has changed in my ownership. There is essentially no rust on the car, although since I bought it the brightwork has deteriorated very mildly. The car comes with a boot full of spares and mountains of documentation. The only thing it does not come with is the original key, which was unfortunately stolen. I do however have several blanks, and being a single-sided key it would be very easy to have a locksmith make a new key up. Being an older car there's no steering lock so moving the car would pose no problem with or without a key.

Some members may still know something about this car prior to my ownership. The coachwork is a Toyota baby blue colour and the restoration was done sometime in the 90's. It was featured on an ABC TV show at some point as well, although I can't for the life of me remember which one (the previous owner, if still around, would know). Although I've never started the engine, the previous owner told me cylinder No.3 was a little weak. The car comes with replacement cylinder liners and pistons, among other spares.

The car is located in Sydney's inner west. I'm asking $5000 for the car, spares, and documentation, but am open to offers. I'll post photos as soon as I can but if you'd like to view the car please call or message me (Peter) on 0423 180 895.
    calgooley likes this.

Tadpole

Hi All,

Just a quick update. Photos of the car are here:

https://goo.gl/photos/7BSeNAX8NfiAC3To8

Also, the previous owner of the car, Graelin on these forums, was kind enough to get in contact with me. He's offered the following information, which I've posted with his permission:

Quote Originally Posted by Graelin
    I had wondered what had happened to the Dauphine. The Shark Net was the ABC Mini Series the car was featured in. The engine did need attention can't remember exactly what but a recondition was needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graelin

I could not reply on the forum as it does not allow this for for sale ads.

I think the clutch cable had gone? Brakes on these cars to jam on of not moved regularly for some reason.

I can confirm the brakes aren't seized on. I removed the guts of the rear brakes and packed them in ziplock bags when I installed new wheel cylinders. The front brakes seem fine and the car rolls very easily. I bought a set of new rubber brake lines and wheel cylinders for the car that are part of the extensive spares that come with the car. It's also got a new clutch cable and throttle cable in the boot. Graelin sent me a lot of engine parts when I bought the car off him, and also some cosmetic parts like a nicer original steering wheel.

Thread Information