Private imports
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Private imports

Tadpole

Icon5 Private imports

Hi all

Firstly - great forum!

I live in London but am planning to move to australia in a year or so with my family. I was considering bringing my 2CV6 with me as I understand they are quite sought-after downunder, and can fetch as much as $12,000. After some investigation I started considering bringing three with me with the intention of flogging two of them to pay for transport of the third (mine).

Advertisement

I have looked into costs and regulations, as long as I import vehicles over 15 years old and get 'permission to import' from the DVLA then the figures seem to add up.

Has anyone done this before? Is this some sort of pipe dream or is this plan feasible? Are there any pitfalls that I have missed?

Cheers in advance

Barry

Hey Baz,

tinsnail1 just imported his red 2CV6 Special which I am about to take for a drive around Canberra this afternoon in fact - on his behalf ofcourse as he is back in London earning those pounds.

As for "sought after", well its questionable really as I reckon everyone who ever wanted a 2CV has either got one, had one or is moving to something else after their first experience.

Its true a good Charleston even a Special can be worth anywhere in the $6 - $11K bracket currently. With the amount of them in Oz now the prices have dropped to about this level.

Still, you can sort of bank on getting at least $9-10k each and you will sell them if they are in excellent condition - gal chassis, ignition mods done etc etc. Don't bring them in if they are average and need a bit of work as there are no parts sources here and everything will have to be sought from Europe making even minor restoration expensive.

If you are serious, strap a new gal chassis to the underside of each car and you may be able to sell the chassis on to people who have bought cars with rusty ones.

I am just recalling my friends recent experience and I actually know little about 2cvs but maybe other cit nuts might be able to offer some advice.

ipb.

Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

The question is do you want to make money or just a few bob doing favours for all us aussie frogs?

If it is the former you should immediately go out to buy an Austin Healey 3000 (BJ8) or any Austin Healey. (Also Triumphs are forging ahead especially TR2s, 3s and 4s.) They are fetching up to AUS$80,000 in mint condition. In fact any English sports car in vgc is worth thinking about. In the past I have imported a 1934 Singer Le Mans and a 1968 Lotus Esprit and made money on both!!

Perhaps you could bring me a Lotus Elise Series 2???

You could bring me a Safrane V6 RXE please?
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCass
    You could bring me a Safrane V6 RXE please?
    you mean a Safrane V6 BiTurbo dont you?
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Default DS cabrio replica

and if you bring one of these I'll buy it!!
    One sold in Qld recently for approx $30,000...there are so few cabrios here and such is the demand a replica DS cabrio would be sought after too....
    if you are immigrating then it can be registered as a personal import and does not have to comply with as many regs as a car that is just imported...check with customs and our local authorities...
    PS I have a 87 2CV6 and still get notes on the car from people wanting to buy it!!!....parts are readily available if you know who to contact and aren't too expensive...David Gries in Melb is great...ph 03 9890 3266 highly recommended
    whatever you do bring something in!!!!!
    Cheers

I'll take a 504 Coupe and a nice 604GTi thanks

No, seriously, I would!

-- DJ

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ-Studd
    I'll take a 504 Coupe and a nice 604GTi thanks

No, seriously, I would!

-- DJ

be nice to have

especially if it was one of the last 504 coupes with the big dial dash and colour coded bumpers

and the 604 GTI of course about an 83/84 model with the 505 style mirrors and 15" TRX style wheels and stick on badges in manual of course
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Stop! You're making me drool!

-- DJ

Thread Information