another 504 project FS
  • Register
  • Help

Default another 504 project FS

put this up on the board a couple of years ago, with no real response. Would still like to restore it one day, but in all reality it probably wont happen. If I can get a decent price, I would part with it. It comprises:

white 1975 LTi shell and motor with factory sunroof. bit of rust in driver sill, easily repaired. needs to be completly stripped and repainted.

motor was running well, but I was planning to rebuild to concourse condition (when I can eventually afford it).
    perfect green nosecone from a 1980 car.
    very perfect set of green intrusion bar doors from a 1981 car.
    serviced/checked ZF auto box (with working BW still in the car)
    perfect tan velour interior from a 1981 car.
    front struts/brakes from a 1983 car.
    factory AC system in boxes.
    505 GR radiator, ac condensor.

basically it would need the shell stripped, bead blasted and painted with the nose cone and doors (I was toying between a pale metallic blue and a dark metallic green, or silver), motor rebuilt and the whole thing reassembled.

Advertisement

dont really want to seperate and would like it to go to someone who wants to complete it.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

A BA10/5 would look nice in that list...

Looks like you put together a nice package... the 505 radiator and all... but is there a 505 GR sump to bolt the AC to?

Just asking, a project like this is beyond me at the moment, even though it's exactly what I'd want to do if I could...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    A BA10/5 would look nice in that list...

Looks like you put together a nice package... the 505 radiator and all... but is there a 505 GR sump to bolt the AC to?

Just asking, a project like this is beyond me at the moment, even though it's exactly what I'd want to do if I could...
    505 sump is on the shopping list for it, along with an SR power rack and pump (not sure where I'd hang the pump though, as the AC compressor takes the obvious spot)

I reckon 6 - 8 grand would see it in concourse condition (if you do most of it yourself). The body blasting and all over and in paint job is the single biggest exspense, and as it is the first thing that needs to be done, I have never had the spare dosh to start it. I think I will wait til I can have it painted up, and then do bits over a few years. Still tempted to drop an efi GTi motor in with a 4 sp auto, but thats getting a bit keen, and would probably be better to keep it 504. But its a bit of a hybrid anyway, especially if put power steer in. But its got all the best examples of 504 stuff in it.

What would you be after for the car?

Sounds like a nice project

-- DJ

Great project... right up till he mentioned 'power steering'...

Great project... right up till he mentioned 'power steering'...
    I know. I personally prefer the manual steering in the 504, but it would be for my girlfriend to drive mostly, and if she is helping fund it and she wants power steering, power steering is what she gets At least its not a visible mod, and it still keeps it mostly 504, as they did get the same pwr steering system in the later ones.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    I know. I personally prefer the manual steering in the 504, but it would be for my girlfriend to drive mostly, and if she is helping fund it and she wants power steering, power steering is what she gets At least its not a visible mod, and it still keeps it mostly 504, as they did get the same pwr steering system in the later ones.

which later 504's had power steering ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    which later 504's had power steering ?
    very late Euro spec Ti - not in Oz though. It gets a mention in the Haynes manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    very late Euro spec Ti - not in Oz though. It gets a mention in the Haynes manual.

ohhhhh

i knew they had it overseas but i just couldn't think of a 504 sold in this country that had it

that's cool then
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

So where do they mount the pump?

So where do they mount the pump?

probably top side where carb cars have the alternator and the alternator is down below on exhaust side

i'm still going to move the alternator in the 604 and put it hopefully where the non-existant air pump would have been on the car to get up away from grunge
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

probably top side where carb cars have the alternator and the alternator is down below on exhaust side

i'm still going to move the alternator in the 604 and put it hopefully where the non-existant air pump would have been on the car to get up away from grunge
    Ti engine - injection pump takes up the spot where the alternator goes on a carb car. All Ti motors have the alternator below the water pump, and the AC compressor under the injection pump, below the battery. With "all 3 spots" occupied, a bit of fiddling about would be required. I was thinking shifting the battery tray back and piggy backing the pump on the AC compressor, or hanging it off the side of the head next to the water pump with some tricky custom brackets.

i'm sure ray was asking where would they mount the pump on the cars that had power steer and they would have been carb cars

not all TI cars had the alternator under the water pump as my old mans car had it originally fitted under the injection pump

i know this as it broke a bracket near wellington once and we nursed her hime and i then placed a 604 alternator on the under side of the engine

BTW this car also had AC of which he didn't like and hence we removed it but it was under the injection pump and mounted on a great big bloody piece of plate steel

i'm not a fan of AC on the 504 engines as when it is in use it can tend to pull the crankshaft over and yes i have seen a few engines with strange wear and were AC equipped where as the non AC cars have had normal wear in this area
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

VIP Sponsor

I have a 505 sump available.

Graham Wallis

Default 504 p/w steering

The 504 Fam I had from South Africe had a lot of nice things however the ram for the steering pump was a non service part so when the seal failed in the main street in Bowral some nice person called the fire brigade. The cloud of white smoke was an indication the car was on fire...........(wrong)
    Basil in Peug parts in Melb helped out as the ram length was particular to the 504 and was not a local part.
    The car is still running around in Sydney' eastern suburbsbut not suited for agricultural work.m ( not like the ute!)
    Phil

My question was related to the TI engine...

And yes, the 'great piece of steel' is familiar to me... Graham and his 504 sump is on the right track, but you need different fittings to those on the compressor of a regular 504 installation to fit the AC in conjunction with fool injection.

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

My 504 has the aircon pump on the passenger side on the top, with the alternator underneath.

I know of a couple of 504s that have been converted to PS. Andrew Pettiford in PCCV drives a carby 504 with PS, and his father has/had a 504 Ti with PS. So it can be done. I thought it would be a case of getting the bits off a 505 SLi. It shouldn't be too difficult should it?

And Ray, why are you so against PS on a 504??

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Bump...

Question for you here Ray. Or should I start a thread on the merits or otherwise of power steering?

John
    John W

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn
    Bump...

Question for you here Ray. Or should I start a thread on the merits or otherwise of power steering?

John

well when i had my 504 V6 with neg camber and big boots on it i sometimes wished i had power steer on it as when parking it could be a pain in the preverbial

have you guys ever noticed that two basically identical 504's that one can have nice light steering but the other can feel heavy ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

have you guys ever noticed that two basically identical 504's that one can have nice light steering but the other can feel heavy ?
    like a lot of manual steering cars, they are very sensitive to tyre types. you also have to remember that they came out of the factory with 175 section tyres, and most now have 185 which will always make them harder to park. I would (if I ever got aoround to doing up this car - so many projects, so little money ) have wider rims put on the 504 centres to run 195/70 14 tyres, which would definantly require power steering - especially when I am so used to driving a car with power steering.

my mother and i at the same time had a 74 TI each

before i played with the suspension both cars had the same tyres and wheels on them yet mine was heavier to steer than mothers

my fathers 76 was also a heavy car to steer

yet my sisters 77 was light

mine became a little heavier after mods but as standard cars between the 4 of them there were definately differences between them
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I think the amount of grease in the balljoints and rack make a difference, and particularly the state of the ball joint on the bottom of the strut.

Ray, you still didn't answer my question!

Why are you so against power steering on a 504?

Thankyou sir.

John
    John W

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

Thread Information