Unique car or another boo-boo?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default Unique car or another boo-boo?

    Here's your chance to buy a CX2200 Auto with a 2.4 litre motor; Oh nearly forgot...it's a liftback too. (Lift back, then carry forward??)

    http://www.pickles.com.au/servlet/Au...m_id=250093936

    Advertisement



    Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts REN TIN TIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Brisbane/Australia
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Well, it's an easy mistake. The CX2200 does look like a Celica Liftback.


    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

  3. #3
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    While Alan remains on the floor after fainting...

    Go wash your mouth!

  4. #4
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    well to the non froggy types yeah they do look like a lift back
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South West Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    well to the non froggy types yeah they do look like a lift back
    They do lift their backs (and their fronts).....and to clarify the Celica looks like the CX.....Japanese, good imitators!

  6. #6
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew D
    They do lift their backs (and their fronts).....and to clarify the Celica looks like the CX.....Japanese, good imitators!

    compare a renault 20 to a CX

    not a lot of imagination needed to see the similarities
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  7. #7
    Member Sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Well, it is damaged. Maybe it IS a liftback now

    Nothing surprises me now; people have told me I bought a Citroen for the image...despite that they had to ask me what it was (if you were trying to impress someone surely you would pick a label they recognise?), I have been told with great authority that the suspension certainly isn't pumping fluid but air, and either way it's not connected with the brakes; and that Citroen is French for lemon (I told him Holden is Australian for Buick).

    Oh, and that is is a nice Peugeot. (no irony was intended)

    The trading post usually has a Citreon Xanita for sale.

    I can't complain - had more people an appreciation for the Marque, my car would have cost more. A little recognition for French cars would be nice though.
    Time Flies like an arrow. Fruit Flies like a banana
    Xantia

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hampton Park
    Posts
    523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    compare a renault 20 to a CX

    not a lot of imagination needed to see the similarities
    Its in the eye of the beholder, but a CX like a 20, I don't think so. Mazda had a car called a capella styled after a 504. The Datsun fairlady/2000 was styled after an MG B. But a CX/R20? Are the engines similar?

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hampton Park
    Posts
    523

    Default

    Sorry pugrambo. I see it now you are talking about the back only and there is a similarity. Also similar treatment on a 17/15.

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts George 1/8th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria.
    Posts
    1,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Here's your chance to buy a CX2200 Auto with a 2.4 litre motor; Oh nearly forgot...it's a liftback too. (Lift back, then carry forward??)

    http://www.pickles.com.au/servlet/Au...m_id=250093936


    Alan S

    Thanks Alan, good suggestion...only if I did buy that I'd probably end up swiftly divorced and I'd never see my kids again.
    Unless I hid it at dad's place...like Shane does. Might be worth a try. Maybe...only it's a 2200. I noticed the ad fine print says it's a 2.4 litre...well that's unusual for a 2200. I wonder what it really is?
    Cheers...George.

  11. #11
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman
    Its in the eye of the beholder, but a CX like a 20, I don't think so. Mazda had a car called a capella styled after a 504. The Datsun fairlady/2000 was styled after an MG B. But a CX/R20? Are the engines similar?
    And the MGB after the Renault Caravelle, but we could go on....

    JohnW

  12. #12
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default

    George,

    It would be safe to say it is a 2.4 C-matic based on it being a late '77, Auto (non existent in a Pallas in those days) and if a c-matic, I don't think they ever came out in a 2200.
    My guess is you'd buy it for the price of the electro valve & maybe the steering governor & have the rest for free.


    Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts George 1/8th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria.
    Posts
    1,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    George,

    It would be safe to say it is a 2.4 C-matic based on it being a late '77, Auto (non existent in a Pallas in those days) and if a c-matic, I don't think they ever came out in a 2200.
    My guess is you'd buy it for the price of the electro valve & maybe the steering governor & have the rest for free.


    Alan S
    Thanks Alan, you're making it sound like a real bargain. I can imagine how handy it would be to have a complete car for spares. I can imagine how people get these to use as a parts car but then can't bring themselves to wreck it.
    Cheers...George.

  14. #14
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default

    This is the theory I've owned CXs on for years.
    Go price a couple of disc rotors or a set of spheres (even secondhand ones) & you'll see what I mean.
    I would be greatly surprised if this thing hits $500 (depending on the extent of the damage.) I know a few years ago, wreckers would offer $700 in Brisbane for a CX sight unseen; that was before the bottom fell out of their resale
    These days I would be surprised to see a damaged one, even a good one prior to damage, pulling much more than the $300 - $500 bracket. From a wreckers viewpoint, too much outlay for too long to wait for a return.
    The only thing that could go against you is if it was an Insurance write off & the previous owner now has some dollars in his kick, a spare car at home & the time & ability to restore it & come out financially in front.
    At an Auction, you know by about the third bid if he's the previous or not.


    Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

  15. #15
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman
    Sorry pugrambo. I see it now you are talking about the back only and there is a similarity. Also similar treatment on a 17/15.

    thank you
    i was sure i couldn't have bee nthe only one to see the similarities between them

    not saying that they are the same but one would have inspired the other for sure
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  16. #16
    1000+ Posts George 1/8th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria.
    Posts
    1,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    This is the theory I've owned CXs on for years.
    Go price a couple of disc rotors or a set of spheres (even secondhand ones) & you'll see what I mean.
    I would be greatly surprised if this thing hits $500 (depending on the extent of the damage.) I know a few years ago, wreckers would offer $700 in Brisbane for a CX sight unseen; that was before the bottom fell out of their resale
    These days I would be surprised to see a damaged one, even a good one prior to damage, pulling much more than the $300 - $500 bracket. From a wreckers viewpoint, too much outlay for too long to wait for a return.
    The only thing that could go against you is if it was an Insurance write off & the previous owner now has some dollars in his kick, a spare car at home & the time & ability to restore it & come out financially in front.
    At an Auction, you know by about the third bid if he's the previous or not.


    Alan S
    Hi Alan, it might be worth getting for a parts car..for sure. The only problem is that I have to work on the day of the auction.
    I sent the auction guy an email, saying that if it does not sell, to email me back and I'll consider removing it for him. Time will tell, I guess.
    Cheers...George.

  17. #17
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th
    Hi Alan, it might be worth getting for a parts car..for sure. The only problem is that I have to work on the day of the auction.
    I sent the auction guy an email, saying that if it does not sell, to email me back and I'll consider removing it for him. Time will tell, I guess.
    Cheers...George.
    George I think the metal recyclers alway place a bid of $50bucks or so ... They'll probably end up with it

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  18. #18
    Banned renaulturbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    melbourne,victoria
    Posts
    523

    Default

    Maybe its a diesel ...werent CX diesels 2400 cc?

  19. #19
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renaulturbo
    Maybe its a diesel ...werent CX diesels 2400 cc?

    2200 & 2500 from memory.

    George, put in a static bid if you can get a good description or see it yourself; say $200 and it should be yours.
    I say get a description in case it was a shitbox before it got stacked.

    Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

  20. #20
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South West Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    2200 & 2500 from memory.

    George, put in a static bid if you can get a good description or see it yourself; say $200 and it should be yours.
    I say get a description in case it was a shitbox before it got stacked.

    Alan S
    True, Citroen was derived from lemon, the fruit not as an adjective for failure... Sorry, just reading a biography on the man himself, Andre Citroen..

    Fascinating read and what a man. Glad to see the tradition he instilled in his company throughout the 20's and 30' carried through to the CX, BX and in many ways the Xantia (and one would hope the C5).

    Haven't quite got to the introduction of the Light 15, but the caterpillar cars, the C4 and c6. Fascintating to read about the caterpillars and their intrepid journey's through the Sahara, Himalayas and China and the furthest motor vehicle to conquer the Antarctic!

    Regards
    Andrew

  21. #21
    WLB
    WLB is offline
    1000+ Posts WLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Warragul, Vic.
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN
    Well, it's an easy mistake. The CX2200 does look like a Celica Liftback.


    Ren
    Well actually, the CX looks like something else. Anyone know what?

    Warwick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unique car or another boo-boo?-ado17.jpg  

  22. #22
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WLB
    Well actually, the CX looks like something else. Anyone know what?

    Warwick.

    yeah a modified or remodelled DS
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  23. #23
    WLB
    WLB is offline
    1000+ Posts WLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Warragul, Vic.
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    yeah a modified or remodelled DS
    Nope. Way off the mark.

    Warwick.

  24. #24
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WLB
    Well actually, the CX looks like something else. Anyone know what?

    Warwick.

    The one car that does resemble the CX is without doubt the Rover 3500 of the same era.
    The pic you posted though I would say could be something resembling a cross between the CX front & a Renault 17 rear, although I doubt that one ever existed in 4 doors. My guess would be either NSU or a Lancia of some description.

    Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

  25. #25
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    The one car that does resemble the CX is without doubt the Rover 3500 of the same era.
    The pic you posted though I would say could be something resembling a cross between the CX front & a Renault 17 rear, although I doubt that one ever existed in 4 doors. My guess would be either NSU or a Lancia of some description.

    Alan S
    I think both the CX and Rover are based on the Austin Allegro (could have the wrong car name there) that never made it to production. If you do a search of the net your sure to find some piccies of it.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •