R8 gordini motor

chris hartwell

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Does anyone know of or have an R8 gordini motor for sale? I have a gearbox and rear suspension assembly and am considering making a replica.

Does anyone know of or have an R8 gordini motor for sale? I have a gearbox and rear suspension assembly and am considering making a replica.

I do know of one in Brisbane, but you would probably have to kill the father and his two sons to get it. For many years they have had the plans to build a replica R1134 as it all came out of a R1134 wreck. I think they have 4 R8s to build it from, but other interests have them occupied at the moment.

in france they use r5 gordini motor and i think they change the rocker cover to a more authentic one. Good luck finding someone to get an original one off.

in france they use r5 gordini motor and i think they change the rocker cover to a more authentic one. Good luck finding someone to get an original one off.

+1135. A replica engine for a replica car. Also likely to get more reliable horsepower out of newer technology. Sounds like you already have the hardest part to find anyway, with the 353 gearbox.

You'll struggle sourcing one locally keep any eye on Ebay. They pop up from time to time.

I'll never sell the 8G engine BUT

I have an R5A engine which hasn't had the water pump moved yet. was running nicely a year ago.
or maybe for the right price a modified one with the water pump mod already done.

i know you get this alot but Mecaparts in france i note sell sets of 4 x 1255cc liners, pistons and rings for EUR410. if the bigger capacity is the real distinguishing feature of the R8G motor (sorry, speaking from ignorance here), that is probably cheaper than getting an original motor.

Unfortunatley it is not just capacity that sets them apart, R8G and R5 Alpine motors have cross flow heads.

R5a motor

What is the water pump mod you are referring to,and other than that what are any other differences with the motor?You can contact me directly on my e-mail with these details and pricing etc.

R5 G/A Motor !!!

Hi Chris,
If you go the R5 G/A do not take the easy way out and go to the single link timing chain to fit a crank pulley at the timing chain end. Better to mod the R5 (duplex chain) cover to have an oil seal. Then you can make it look R8 G with the water pump at the back end. I think a much better way to go, in your replica R8.

Best of building.

'scuse my ignorance but what is the difference between the R8G and R5A engines? Is the R5A a turbo?
Regards
Chopper Bob

No, the R5 Alpine or R5 Gordini (depending on which market the name can differ) is not Turbo'd. This is a sporty version of the ordinary cooking variety R5 that were sold in millions before the 5GT; Turbo 2 and Turbo Maxi came along.

The main difference as someone said is that R5A and R8G both engines use a cross flow head. For the R5's they then released the mid engined rear wheel drive Turbo 2 and Maxi, later releasing a front engined, front wheel drive 5GT as a follow on to the R5.
KB

Hi Chris,
If you go the R5 G/A do not take the easy way out and go to the single link timing chain to fit a crank pulley at the timing chain end. Better to mod the R5 (duplex chain) cover to have an oil seal. Then you can make it look R8 G with the water pump at the back end. I think a much better way to go, in your replica R8.

Best of building.

Problem with leaving the waterpump at the rear of the head is that you need to cut a hole in the bellhousing and remove the petrol tank to the boot, Also, the heater hose outlets foul the rear parcel shelf in an 8/10. Basically if you leave the wp at the flywheel end you will have no end of trouble with fitting it in and also working on the wp and belts.

'scuse my ignorance but what is the difference between the R8G and R5A engines? Is the R5A a turbo?
Regards
Chopper Bob

Whilst both the R5A and 8G both have crossflow heads, there is a very big difference between the two.

The R5A is an easier to manufacture head having a hemispheric combustion chamber with the spark plug protruding into the combustion chamber. It also typically had a single, double barrel carby.

The 8G on the other hand, has its spark plug in a small chamber above the combustion chamber which feeds into a pair of flame ports which connect to the combustion chamber - this gives two flame fronts in the main combustion chamber (essentially twin spark with one spark plug). It had a beautiful set of intake manifolds / throttle assembly with 2 x double barrel side draught webers (or solex) and a proper air cleaner, as well as a lovely exhaust manifold.

The 8G motor really is a work of art, there is reason for the stigma.

Regards
Scott

I'll never sell the 8G engine BUT

I have an R5A engine which hasn't had the water pump moved yet. was running nicely a year ago.
or maybe for the right price a modified one with the water pump mod already done.

Everyone has their price.......

How much money have you got Chris ???

R5A motor !!!

Scotty,
Being nostalgic is not being the best, the R8G was not a good motor, it worked well enough for its time. Head did not like modified cams, and cracked a lot between valves and the fire holes, and out of the combustion chamber from the exhaust valve to the steam hole on the inside of the head, normally 2 and 3. I have also seen them form cracks from the water gallery in to the rocker area, white oil.

R5A is Alpine technology from the 1600cc A110 onto the cast iron block. Just bullet proof, considering the development on that motor by that time.

And R8nut, I think a little confused on back of the motor in the back of an R8, water pump needs t be changed to the back of the head, back of the car?????

back of the motor is the flywheel
timing chain end of the motor is back of the car
R5 heads mount the waterpump over the flywheel..........I have 2 and worked on another 3.

if the water pump is physically in the way, that could possibly be dealt with using a davies-craig electric one.